Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anglo Polymers Road Race

My personnal opinion from someone who is relatively new to the sport is that the ridng is generally good however the inexperienced riders get pigeon holed as being dangerous. In a couple of races i've been in i've seen and remembered numbers of people and they have been seasoned racers yet their riding was poor. The whole thing does need policing but doing it by way of reporting riders is difficult to administer and even more difficult to avoid abuse!

I agree with sra it's not always the newer riders that are the problem.

Obviuosly age is no indication as to how long someone has been doing this for, I didn't start racing till I was 39, and the guy I referred to earlier wasn't a youngster so I assume he'd been doing this for a while and should know better

I thought the standard on Sunday wasn't as good as it could/should have been. But not really sure why!

I found the neutralised zone and first lap scary, but it settled down after that and thought we were going to get away without a crash. What did I know!! And having picked myself up off the raod had another rider say the samething on the way back to the HQ.

Ive been marshalling and riding that course for many a year and never seen a crash there. It was ridiculous. It should be the safest part of the course at high speed and a wide road. The group was going at a constant speed. Experience has nothing to do with it - it should be obvious. No one should need telling no matter how inexperienced to keep there line and concentrate on a straight bit of road. Otherwise I for one enjoyed the race.

Hope Nigel, Steve and Hugo and anyone else involved get well soon.

I agree with hugo, and also add, if your driving or cycling, please ,lease look and think before you do anything, if safe and clear, go for it, if not, don't.
    common sense really,
    best wishes to all who crashed , please cycle safely, how many more , before we race carefully??!!

1st Cat

I'll agree that people need to speak to people who ride dangerously, maybe after the race if possible, or a quick word during. It's harder when the person concerned has been doing it for a while though- newcomers are afraid of doing anything wrong, and quick to take on what they are told about how to ride safely. I think in some ways this mitigates the lack of experience- they should at least learn fast, if they have it explained to them fully. Not sure how to deal with people who won't believe that they have done anything wrong, that's not so easy.

Woody you're totally right, it is common sense but the problem is some people ride/race like they drive a car and thats why we get people taking unnecessary risks, not paying attention and sprinting for 30th and calling everybody W#*@#*s 'cos they weren't in the right position

Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Ade T View Post
    ....not paying attention and sprinting for 30th and calling everybody W#*@#*s 'cos they weren't in the right position
    Aint that the truth!
    I don't mind a good gallop for the line...even if it's for 30th but i wouldn't go calling evryone names just because i wasn't in the right position.
    Going back to my original comment, this guy was hurling abuse at anyone who'd listen!

Newcomers sometimes do get the bad press so-to-speak but if anyone's sat next to me in the bunch they know i'll only make comments when it's called for. (I did shout alot on Sunday)!
    Only stop pedalling hard when bleeding stops.

Elite

Let's start naming names then.
    Who was the prat who crashed on the finishing hill in the Ed Taylor RR with about 4 or 5 laps to go?
    He had already knocked into my handlebars because of the bad line he was taking round the corner at the bottom of the finish climb.
    He completely ignored my comments...... or so I thought, because 100 metres later he was coming for me again, but this time on his back sliding along the road.

Quote Originally Posted by needmorespeed View Post
    Who was the prat who crashed on the finishing hill in the Ed Taylor RR with about 4 or 5 laps to go?
    Yeah, that was a weird one! Happened just in front of me. Had the look of a mechanical / last ditch attempt to get on the small chainring

Dunno if I'd call it out and out dangerous riding worthy of a ban though. It was just silly.

Elite

Default Touching wheels

It's no good just to moan about riding standards. Part of the problem is simply education: are you sure that even you know what to do when you feel your wheel touch the one in front?

The answer is this. You need to persist in steering into it. You need almost to lean against the wheel that's holding back your own wheel. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but it is the safest way.

When you steer on a bike, it's mainly done through weight: you unbalance your bike by shifting your weight into the turn and you can think of your bike as moving after you to come underneath you and catch you and hold you up.

If your bike is stopped because your wheel meets the one in front, rather than bringing your bike back underneath you, you need to try instead to bring your own weight back over the bike. You do this by using the bars to pull yourself back over the bike while your wheel presses on the wheel in front of you and gives you the leverage you need to do this.

If instead you let your wheel bounce off the one in front, you begin something which feels dangerously familiar. You exacerbate the imbalance and the distance between your centre of gravity and the support offered by the bike, and so you need to bring the bike back under you even more sharply and you end up turning even harder than you were before. And if you turn still into the wheel that stops you then you fall.

I said this was familiar and it is, because this counter-steering (as it's known) is used deliberately to produce a tighter turn and we all will find we do it naturally as we learn to ride. Remember though that this experience is a false friend when we first touch wheels.

Steer into the contact with the wheel in front, persist.

Or is this wrong?