Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No e/1 racing at Hog Hill this summer?

Administrator

For what it is worth I have never been in favour of 4th cat only races with points, and on many occasions complained to BC that I thought it was wrong that a 4th cat could win their first race and become a 3rd cat without gaining the experience of bunch riding. BC have taken this on board and raised the points required to become a 3rd cat to 12, which means they now have to ride at least 2 races. Still not enough in my view, 4th's should mix it with 3rd cats and if they are good enough they will get the points to progress.

My other bug is the way I could ride a women's race with few entries, ride round and finish many laps down and possibly progress to a 2nd cat in one season. I am still working on this one with BC. But that's another matter.
    Joan Potts

4th Cat

Would it not be possible for week night racing at Hog Hill to use the Eastway Supporters League format of running A and B league events within just 1 handicap race?

Give the B league (3/4s) almost a lap head start over the A league (E/1/2s) and first across the line is the winner whilst the highest placed B league rider wins the B league event.

In previous years trying to keep to the 2 races apart at Hog Hill was something of a nightmare and results in the 3/4 event was often a bit sketchy as a consequence.

Although the race would break up much more than on the Eastway circuit transponders could perhaps be a solution. I feel that everyone racing together - as is more popular in Europe - would raise standards, competitiveness and also enjoyment.

Ultimately, nothing's perfect, but the current solution of dumbing down racing and a 'points for all' mentality is harming competitive cycling in our region.

Quote Originally Posted by Stortford 4th cat View Post
    Would it not be possible for week night racing at Hog Hill to use the Eastway Supporters League format of running A and B league events within just 1 handicap race?

Give the B league (3/4s) almost a lap head start over the A league (E/1/2s) and first across the line is the winner whilst the highest placed B league rider wins the B league event.

In previous years trying to keep to the 2 races apart at Hog Hill was something of a nightmare and results in the 3/4 event was often a bit sketchy as a consequence.

Although the race would break up much more than on the Eastway circuit transponders could perhaps be a solution. I feel that everyone racing together - as is more popular in Europe - would raise standards, competitiveness and also enjoyment.

Ultimately, nothing's perfect, but the current solution of dumbing down racing and a 'points for all' mentality is harming competitive cycling in our region.
    There's also TLI racing at North Weald on a Tuesday.
    -----------------------------

"Baroudeur" - a courageous rider compensating for moderate ability by combative riding

(I'm shit, but at least I get stuck in)

2nd Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_McLaren View Post
    There's also TLI racing at North Weald on a Tuesday.
    Tom, you're right to note there are alternatives to Hog Hill including non BC races. There are also lots of nearby midweek 10s for people who just want to get out and ride hard for 20-30 minutes. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Hog Hill is the local BC race evening for a wide catchment area, including for people who have no real option other than to ride to a race after work. And generally speaking those putting on midweek racing recognise this by running an inclusive programme offering all categories the chance to get some midweek crit training in. Anyway, I shall resist commenting further as your club mates have promised some form of consultation in another forum.

Bearing in mind there is also 4th cat racing every other Thursday at Dunton (albeit with no points); it would be a shame for both events to compete for riders and maybe neither get the fields they were expecting.

So the weeks were Dunton is on, that could be an E12 week, the next week a 4th's, and so on. Slightly more confusing yes but I am sure 99% of us are capable of following the pattern. Im sure the E1's would prefer this to nothing and it would give you a season of data to make a really good informed decision going forward. For what its worth I think the 4th field will massively reduce during the season, as many will progress to 3rds, give up or become hospitalised! (yes like me :| ) Cheers, V2
    James "V2" Samuel

My god what a lot of moaning. At least you have venues all around.

Try living in Norfolk and only having a few mid-week races on the Lotus test track that is completely flat and open, with one race of E,1,2,3,4.

2nd Cat

Exactly. Norfolk and chance of getting me to live in Norfolk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    Exactly. Norfolk and chance of getting me to live in Norfolk.
    I wouldn't wish that on anyone Gray, especially if you're a racing cyclist.

Stagiaire

This is going up on the ELV website soon, possibly later today. We will also tweet a link on the ELV Twitter a/c. The survey link is live if you want to respond.

ELV Summer Series 2014 Race Format

Your Views Please

Once again ELV is organising a Summer Series at Hog Hill for 2014. This year we are intending to change the format of racing to provide a 4th category only race and a 2/3 category race, whereas by tradition we have run 3/4 and E12 races. Therefore in 2014 the proposal is not to provide racing for E1 category riders. ELV took this decision with the aim of boosting overall levels of participation in cycle sport.

We have subsequently received some feedback on the proposed format, some supportive of our view and some not. As the promoting club it is up to us to decide what races we choose to promote. However, recognising we are proposing something different this year (and in particular that E1 riders will be excluded) we would like to better understand the balance of feeling amongst the racing community. Are you:

• An Eastern Region rider and current licence holder who has participated in the Summer Series races during either the 2012 or 2013 seasons, or

• An Eastern Region 4th category rider and current licence holder who intends to compete in this years Summer Series for the first time

If so then we would like you to tell us about yourself and your race preferences at the 2014 Summer Series via https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/C3F6KV3. It will take a couple of minutes and all the details we need are:

• Your Name
    • Current Club
    • Current Licence Category
    • Whether you competed in the 2012 or 2013 Summer Series or the 2014 Winter Series
    • Whether you agree or disagree with the proposed race format of 4th category and 2/3 category races only for 2014

We recognise that there are a number of formats other than 3/4 and E12 that could allow E1 riders to participate e.g. E123 and 4 or potentially some form of handicap racing. We are not looking for detailed feedback on these options or on the pros and cons. We just want to gauge opinion from those who matter most (the riders who participate or intend to participate in the Summer Series) on whether or not the proposed format of 4th category and 2/3 category racing is supported.

To get you thinking....

Arguments for the proposed format include:

• ELV ran races on a 4th and 2/3 cat format for the Winter Series and we saw overall participation levels increase very significantly, including a higher proportion of younger riders
    • Opportunities are scarce for 4th cat and 2/3 cat riders to race on circuits within their ability groups and to genuinely ‘compete’ rather than just be ‘hanging on’
    • There are a number of alternatives for midweek E1 racing in the London area
    • It is right that race formats should correspond with demand, E1 participation in the Summer Series has been very low historically (typically 5 or 6 riders)

Arguments against the proposed format include:

• 4th and 2nd cat riders would miss the opportunity to challenge themselves against higher cat riders
    • Mixing 4th and 3rd cat riders helps ensure 4th cat riders reach a higher standard before securing a licence upgrade
    • There are a number of local E1 riders who have supported the Summer Series in the past and it is unfair to deny them (and potential successors) the opportunity to race
    • Demand for 4th cat racing may decline as the season progresses and therefore participation levels may not mirror the Winter Series

ELV would really appreciate your input on this.

Stagiaire

Live on ELV website. please pass on to anyone interested in commenting

http://www.eastlondonvelo.cc/