Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Club Race results 2013 - All disciplines

For what it's worth, a writeup and pictures of Charles's win can be found in the latest edition of the club newsletter.
    Willem H. de Boer -- Lightweight Dutchman.

Thanks for the highlight Dave.
    It was a tough day, but the conditions were much better than last year. I hope to crack both the top 100 and go sub 4 hours next year (is the weather gods smile). Ed and I had great support from Dave and Oli, which makes it much easier than carrying everything on your back! The wind was silly strong again, sustained 40mph at the top!
    109th of 671 starters, 4:03:15. feels pretty good! (except for my body, which is battered today)

2nd Cat

At the Leo 30 yesterday Ken Platts came an impressive 12th with a 1:02:56, Pete Baumber finished in 84th with 1:21:57.
    Pretty sure Ken's time is a new VTTA East Anglia record, not sure about Pete's?
    I won the award for navigational idiocy as I thought I had gone off course, stopped and turned round, then my minute man whizzed past so I turned round again! Added nearly an extra mile to the distance. Official time was 1:10:50 to place 55th, but based on average speed I would have done a 1:08. Oh well!
    Last edited by Chris Pearce; 06-10-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Default ECCA Hill climb championship

Luckily the wet weather lifted in the afternoon, and there was only a slight breeze, but I have no idea which direction it came out of.

First time up was done in 1m36.8s. Unfortunately, with only 16 riders on the startsheet, there was only 20 minutes to recover for the second effort, which wasn't enough! Second time up I lost too much time going a bit too much into the red on the first half. I clocked 1m41s. My total time (3m17.8s) was good enough for 4th place overall, about 2 seconds shy of bronze. I'm quite disappointed with this result, but it is what it is.

Winner's total time was 3m06s or thereabouts. I am unsure where Ralph came!

Top 5 times were faster than recent years, so either the field was stronger, or the weather conditions were more favourable. I'm going to assume it's the former just to make me feel better. ;-)

There. It's time to put my feet up, and have a Leffe Blonde or two!!
    Last edited by whdeboer; 14-10-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Forgot about Ralph!

2nd Cat

CC Sudbury Open Hill Climb

Lovely day yesterday for a Hill Climb, so much better than last year when it was a complete wash out. Completely dry, and the host club did a great job of sweeping the road beforehand. There was a big crowd at the top, Ipswich & Boxford had led a club run down there to cheer on their boys and everyone else gurning up the hill.
    The only downside was the wind, was gusting pretty strong at the top and it was pot luck if you got hit with a gust or not, and it showed as the winning time this year was about 6 seconds down on last year, 51.2 seconds.
    I came in with 58.4 to place 14th, based on the number of riders (50) I thought beforehand i would be happy with a top 15 so job done, and i did so much better than last year.
    Ralph came 18th with 59.7. Pretty sure if he cut his hair he'd lose some drag

That topped off a very short hill climb season for me, the weekends prior I did some club events, came 2nd in the Hitchin Nomads and 3rd in the Eagle RC/Hainult. Bring on next year

Thetford Winter Series Round 1

A number of us headed over to Brandon for the first race. Sunny, windy, and with a few sharp cold showers, it made for a typical winter MTB race, though we kept remarkably clean. Myself, Michael Hicks and Gordon all raced the 4 hour. I bonked massively on my last lap, slowing from 32-34 minutes/lap to 45, and losing 8th place, but kept 9th, barely. Michael finished in 12th. Gordon put on a 'jump show' for a number of laps and then retired in style to play superdad. Oli did the 2 hour race in what was his 2nd MTB race ever, and on a new bike he had only ridden once before. he put in a strong show for 34th out of a field of hundreds, including some very, very fast riders. I saw another CCC jersey there out of the corner of my eye, but I'm not sure who he was.

Next race Dec 1 in Santon Downham.

Second of the Thetford Winter Series today. Michael Hicks and I entered the 4 hour race again. Sadly, Michael had to drop out due to illness, and as he was my ride, was forced to endure standing around for another 3+ hours waiting for me. I paced myself much better, and allowed a number of guys who had beaten my last time to leave me behind in the first 2 hours. I wasn't feeling it at first, and 'Thetford back' was bothering me. It got better though, and I was able to leave one other guy behind who I was sharing the work with on the fireroad sections. I then caught and dropped others easily in the third hour as others fatigued. Inspired by some recently acquired silver I punched it on the penultimate and last laps, but began to fade with a few miles to go, but had a good gap by that point and just focused on not f*@king up any technical sections. I ended up 6th, and am pleased with that after 90k of mountain biking!

Shane Norval and Digby were there too, but I'm not sure how they got on.

Default Newport Para-cycling International Cup

Club member Louis Rolfe did it again. The C2 paralympic cyclist broke the flying 200m world record in Newport last weekend. BC report can be found here: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbc...n-at-Newport-0