Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dengie cancelled ??

Post Dengie cancelled ??

A request for access to a private road has been refused. The road is the one that goes through Middlewick Farm & includes a livery stable.It appears from the letter that refusal is mainly based on cyclists using this "PRIVATE" road at times other than the Dengie.
    " However in the past there have been too manycyclists riding at speed. As you know there is a blind corner in the car park and cyclists have not slowed down at all taking the corner and have encountered horse and rider, as a result of which there have been RUDE VERBAL EXCHANGES and, more importantly, the potential of an accident".
    For the Dengie, the livery stable advise the horse riders to stay away from the road & as far as I am aware there have not been any problems. So it appears to lay at the feet of those who ignore the fact that some of these roads are private & feel they can do what they want. THANKS A BUNCH !!! Re-routing ( if possible) would require a new police application (?) & a considerable number of marshals & accredited marshals.
    I will endeavour to have the decision reversed but dont hold out too much hope.
    ALAN ROSNER

Thumbs down

Bad news Alan,

Again a mindless few spoiling ti for the majority.
    The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

1st Cat

Quote Originally Posted by big hairy tracky View Post
    Again a mindless few spoiling ti for the majority.
    Refer to other thread re riding like an a$$... er... running red lights.

Bad news Alan, especially after you'd put all the work in to get the Nat A classification.

If there's anything the Cambridge Cycling Mafia can do to help you out of this jam, let us know. We don't do horse heads, but waking up next to the sawed off remains of your carbon handlebars can be pretty effective...

Joking aside, you've got our support if only so that Basil won't be totally devastated next season.
    Go Canada!

-Eric-

Stagiaire
    Blog Entries

Ah - bad news. Sounds like they could be talked around (hopefully) - bit unfair to tar all with the same brush and deny a national standard event over 1 incident.

1st Cat

Not fair they'd punish top racers from all over the country for the misdemeanours of a few clubrun "racers" from the area. Anyway, perhaps you could offer our help on the farm for a day or so in exchange for them letting us use the roads? I'd gladly muck out stables to save the Dengie. Not kidding either. Mucking out stables is a cleaner days work for a start.

Thanks for ALL your support ,I am preparing a letter requesting a reversal of the decision.I will include suitable forum postings that reflect riders feelings. The decision came from the managing director of the holding company that owns several farms so I have to be ultra diplomatic.
    I will deliver the letter with my Rouleur Photo Album & issue 17 of Rouleur that contain articles on Dengie, I will explain how this has become a unique event recognised in Europe & the USA.Rest assured I will not take this refusal "lying down".
    Yes it is probably the result of the actions of a minority who may also think they have a right to jump red lights.
    ALAN ROSNER

Alan,

It would be a absolute disaster if this race was to be lost due to a bunch of small minded riders, who I would guess don't actually take part in the race given how far most riders are now traveling to take part in it.

I've ridden the event for the last two years and it's whats got me out the door to go training on a cold wet January morning, I've even convinced to new club mate to ride it this year and now he is obsessing about it as much as me!

I understand why they would want to refuse access to the course after being treated so badly by some local riders but to take it away from those of us that love the event just seems like to total over reaction.

I really hope they change their minds.

Mike Jackson - CC Luton

Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Roz View Post
    " However in the past there have been too manycyclists riding at speed. As you know there is a blind corner in the car park and cyclists have not slowed down at all taking the corner and have encountered horse and rider, as a result of which there have been RUDE VERBAL EXCHANGES and, more importantly, the potential of an accident".
    For the Dengie, the livery stable advise the horse riders to stay away from the road & as far as I am aware there have not been any problems. So it appears to lay at the feet of those who ignore the fact that some of these roads are private & feel they can do what they want. THANKS A BUNCH !!! Re-routing ( if possible) would require a new police application (?) & a considerable number of marshals & accredited marshals.
    I will endeavour to have the decision reversed but dont hold out too much hope.
    Although you are taking this as a blanket & emotional response against all cyclists (a blow struck in the universal war against the cyclist), it sounds too as though it may instead just rest on some rather lazy and illogical thinking. With our knowledge of racing we can all see the difference between a BC NatA race and the casual riders reported not to be showing other road users due consideration. That's a distinction that a lay person can come to see as well.

At the moment it's like us taking against the livery stables because we don't like hunting.

And don't get me onto the whole subject of the law of trespass. . . Only kidding

Sorry Hugo you have lost me. I bow to your superior knowledge. I was only good enough to go to the University of Life.
    ALAN ROSNER

Elite

I sometimes wonder what planet Hugo lives on
    Joan Potts