Thread: Any body got a.......?

Default Any body got a.......?

....Compact drive chainset. I will be doing the Etape this year and would be keen to buy a compact chainset to get me up those hills. Will spend my money at Darren's unless you have one.
    Nothing hurts me as much as my bike. (No I am wrong, having to give up competitive cycling under Dr's. orders hurts more).

Well I've just bought a Stronglight 48/34 for £75 from Darren. If you use a 12-25 block then gives you an 108" top gear which should be ok for the Etape descents. Tried it last night and will be doing a long ride in Wales next week as well. It's worth buying one as you may need it again and you can always put it on your training bike for winter.

It only fits Shimano bb so I had to buy one. You'll obviously need a band on front mech otherwise you'll have to have a 50/36 (50/34 is a bit too much of a jump for the front mech I think)

saying all that Nick has got one you can borrow.
    I really can't be bothered

Also looking at compacts for next years Etape. What is it you need to do to your front mech?

Quote Originally Posted by jmaccyd
    Also looking at compacts for next years Etape. What is it you need to do to your front mech?
    move it a bit
    I really can't be bothered

Sam the eagle: I've seen you ride. You don't need a compact chainset like the rest of us 3rd and 4th cats, you can ride with the big boys with a 39x26

I bought a Stronglight 50/36 in preparation for a Gran Fondo ride that I did in Italy. I didn't need to use the 26 sprocket very much, only when the climbs hit 17% (once for 1km with temp of 30 and no shade). I could have got round on a 39/26 but it was nice to have something a bit lower without having to use a triple.

Got mine from Spa Cycles www.spacycles.co.uk, only cost £70 post free including a bottom bracket.