Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barton 10 TT - Thursday 17th June

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Basil Moss View Post
    James, where exactly is the hillclimb?
    Not far from Cambridge - meet at the medieval bridge in Moulton. See here: http://www.elycyclingclub.com/tett.htm

I believe Newmarket also run their hill climb on this course. You could also lookup Haverhill's club HC course Basil - their events are mostly near Newmarket too so probably within distance for you.

My 1 hour 20m ish ride tonight which took in said hill climb amongst others climbed a total of 400m James.

If you want to have a go at that climb, it starts just after the bridge, by the "ford" sign

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...20.04,,0,11.41

Then it goes up the climb until the bend to the left

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...84.94,,0,19.96

I think the end is correct, although its hard to see! Its basically 0.9 miles and you're looking at 1m45s for Mark Arnold

1st Cat

Hi folks, are we sorted for marshals? If not, I could perhaps be pusher off, but would I be able to set off last and ride it? I was really planning to race it tonight to finish off a training block.

2nd Cat

If you want to talk about any proper hills, at least talk about hills that are more than 1 mile long. I went up cragg vale which is the longest continual gradient in england, rises 968 feet over 5 3/4 miles. They run a hillclimb on there in october, only problem is its 200 miles from cambridge
    Tom Platts

St Ives CC rider

So what? I've been up Bealach na Baa and the Col d'Iseran
    You just go faster and harder up short hill climbs. IMO short steep hill climbs are much harder to race up as you have to go way into the red zone to do a decent time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Murphy View Post
    My 1 hour 20m ish ride tonight which took in said hill climb amongst others climbed a total of 400m James.
    That must be a really tough route as I reckon on climbing about 200m/hr on "hilly" rides round here! Newmarket is great for bringing up the total though.

Quote Originally Posted by James W View Post
    That must be a really tough route as I reckon on climbing about 200m/hr on "hilly" rides round here! Newmarket is great for bringing up the total though.
    I don't have a lot of choice actually, there's virtually no flat roads around here. It's quite annoying sometimes!

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Newmarket-Hilly

Quote Originally Posted by James W View Post
    But James, you basically live at the bottom of the 'Brinkley Beast!'

On a side note I am training more and better this year in Cambridge than the previous 2 years in which I lived in the Alps and next to the Vosges mountains in France.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Mclean View Post
    But James, you basically live at the bottom of the 'Brinkley Beast!'
    Well, you inspired me to go and ride it! I am sure it's steeper than it used to be... It's a total beast of a climb - 41m continuous climbing from the lowest to the highest point (OK it goes up even higher after the descent 2/3 of the way up). Two and a half minutes of solid climbing! No way! That's like at least 10 Col du Mill Road Bridges. And it's nearly FOUR percent average!

Although Tom would eat it for breakfast.
    Last edited by James W; 18-06-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add in gradient.