Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barton 10 TT - Thursday 17th June

2nd Cat

Default Barton 10 TT - Thursday 17th June

Back at Barton this week so we need to be on our best behaviour...we had a visit from the police and someone from the east district committee due to complaints made by the family that live in the house directly by the start!

Anyway.....we here's the list of help required pls

1 x Time Keeper
    1 x Marshal
    1 x Pusher

Drop me a line in the nornal way...

Cheers
    Andy

1st Cat

What did they complain about?

Blog Entries

And wasn't there a bit of a strong disagreement a few years ago with someone there (not sure if it was the owner of the house or an employee at the site)? Was it something to do with parking?

Yes I was there that night, a woman who works at the radio telescope place through her usual wobbly about us parking/starting by the drive so she couldn't see to get out. And then that chap waded in who I think Tim posted died a while back? Glenn had to step in and calm it down. I think there was an incident with someone taking a leak in the hedge by one of the houses also.

Not sure what the last complaint was about or what it has to do with the East district. Cambridge CC is London East unless that's what you mean...

Maybe it's time to find a new course, not many people like that road as far as I can tell anyway. I like the hill but the road surface is dangerous and it's pretty narrow too. Martin and I did the North road 25 which uses the road off to the right at the roundabout which I think is much better.

Blog Entries

Different course... How about best of five up barrington!? Basil?

more seriously, I agree that the Barton course isn't what it used to be, although it would be a shame to lose out on climbing Orwell Hill - the only "proper" hill on our courses...

Quote Originally Posted by James W View Post
    Different course... How about best of five up barrington!? Basil?
    Bring it on I quite often do that as an interval session up the hill in Moulton - that's a good, well for East Anglia anyway. I'll have to take my sat. nav out on my favourite training ride round here, the altitude gain has got to be pretty big I reckon as I've tailored it to go up just about every hill I've discovered

Blog Entries

Good hill, that one! There's a hillclimb on that every year in mid/late October. PM me your altitude gain - I'm intrigued.

2nd Cat

Barton won't happen this week if we don't get any volunteers....sorry just needed to bring the thread back on course!!

Re the "complaints" etc...pretty much what you have already chatted about is right.
    I'm led to believe by the police/London east (is this better Duncan!) that the problems have been spread over a period of years and that they have choosen escalate them this year in particular.

As much as I'm not a fan of the course I accept that it has a certain appeal for riders and agree that we shouldn't remove it from our TT calendar altogether but will make a suggestion again this year to reduce the amount of times we ride the course based mainly on the road suface and width of the road.

As for Thursday...to help the situation we need to avoid having a large amount of riders waiting around the start so please try to time your run up to the start so that you arrive around 2 mins before your ride time. We legitimately start on the PUBLIC HIGHWAY however where you see a change in the road suface in the driveway/entrance leading up to the gates this is private property.
    PLEASE DO NOT U TURN IN VIEW OF THE START OF THE TT !! This applies to all and any TT's. With the committee representative present at the start of the last Barton TT he witnessed a rider performing a U turn and made a point of bringing it to my attention and also spoke to the rider too. If you ride up to the start and decide to go back down the road towards Barton please pull into the driveway/entrance, STOP and then proceed onto the road i.e treat it like a T-Junction.

Cheers
    Andy

I'm intrigued as to what the actual complaint was still. I don't see what the police can say really - standing on the edge of a public road is not against the law.

1st Cat

I'd be sad to loose Barton. Not so much for the 10's but the 25 is excellent. Also, why do we only have two evening 25's? They are great fun, could we have three next year?

James, where exactly is the hillclimb? I'm trying to plan some hillclimbs to finish my racing season off, but most are so far away. If this one is in riding distance I should enter it.