Thread: Is this acceptable?

Default Is this acceptable?

Three weeks ago, I went in to Biketrax in Brentwood, my LBS, to buy some stuff and to ask them to remove a seized pedal axle from my chainset. The chainset was a square taper sugino, old but good quality, from an LX spec bike. They clamped it in a vice, applied the hot air gun and then removed the pedal. Great, that was easy; I paid them for the stuff and for the removal of the pedal axle.

When I got home, I noticed that when they had clamped the chainset in the vice they had folded one of the chainring tabs inward, cracking it and making the crank unuseable. I took it back to Biketrax, and they agreed to source a replacement. I told them that I didn't want to gain anything from this, so if they could find some similar second hand cranks that would be fine. A week later, I hadn't been called by Biketrax, so I went in. They hadn't been able to find anything, so said that they would look for something new. Yet another week without any contact from Biketrax, so I went in again: they had got some cranks in, but they were cheap and nasty low end things, with a rivetted chainring. I explained that I didn't feel that this was an acceptable replacement, and we discussed alternatives; I stressed that I didn't want to gain anything from this, so I didn't mind if the replacement was as good as the damaged crank, just that it was of reasonable quality. I offered to pay for a bottom bracket if they had difficulty sourcing a square taper crank.

Anyway, another week without any contact from Biketrax, so I went in on Friday, exactly three weeks since they had damaged my chainset. The manager, Alex, who had been dealing with this throughout, was away on leave. He hadn't got anything in, and no one else knew anything about whether he had even done anything. They suggested that I came back next Friday... which would mean that my bike had been unrideable due to the damaged crank for a month.

I don't blame Biketrax for damaging the crank, they just made a mistake. However, I do blame them for not sourcing a replacement within a reasonable length of time. I feel that I've given them plenty of time to come up with a reasonable quality replacement crank, either new or second hand, but they've made no effort to do so, or to even contact me to tell me what they're doing. I really wish I'd driven to Herongate Cycles instead; its a bit further away, but they know what they're doing and I'm sure they wouldn't have damaged my crank.

Anyway, do you think that this is acceptable? Any ideas about how I can get Biketrax to sort something out?

2nd Cat

certainly not, but it's a bit like builders. when they cock something up they rarely want to put it right properly - they just want to get you off their back as easily as possible and or hope you'll give up and go away. Perhaps you should ask for some compensation and get it fixed yourself. You've given them long enough to sort it out and they haven't managed to deliver. if they say no, you've got three choices, give them another chance to fix it themselves (maybe the fact you've upped the ante will be enough), sue them (probably a bit ott for this sort of thing) or walk away and make it clear you won't be using them again and certainly won't be recommending them to anyone else. you'll be best placed to judge. personally i wouldn't bother with the "I'd happily accept a decent second hand replacement" - it just complicates matters - if you get your bike nicked you don't ask the insurance to give you an acceptable second hand replacement you get a new bike.
    Last edited by Gray; 07-03-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks Gray, some good points there. I was trying to be reasonable by suggesting a 2nd hand replacement, but thinking about it, there are problems with this - what if it snapped and I came off and injured myself? I'll put something in writing to them, to make it official, and give them one more chance to arrange a replacement - hopefully they'll see sense.

Elite

Quote Originally Posted by eccolafilosofiadelpedale View Post
    Thanks Gray, some good points there. I was trying to be reasonable by suggesting a 2nd hand replacement, but thinking about it, there are problems with this - what if it snapped and I came off and injured myself? I'll put something in writing to them, to make it official, and give them one more chance to arrange a replacement - hopefully they'll see sense.
    Don't quote me on this but years ago my car was not repaired properly and i was told the garage actually had 3 attempts to resolve the issue. If after that time they hadn't then the the matter could get taken further. I mentioned this on attempt no:2 and funnily enough they bent over backwards to help out: Courtesy car and everything!!!
    Only stop pedalling hard when bleeding stops.

1st Cat

Sugino RD2 £69 with square taper cranks is a current replacement. Not much money and good quality.

As for the service I'm sure that many people on here could quote similar stories about service from LBS's and other providers. TO be hinest i think you opened it up for a suitable replacement and provided too many options. Item broken by supplier should be replaced by supplier forthwith in my opinion.

1st Cat

Sorry, I've made an assumption that you were after a fixed chainset which is probably completely wrong. I have an old Ultegra Chainset with square taper fitting sitting in a spares box at home if it's any help for a nominal fee

Thanks for the kind offer, Richard, but the cranks came off my MTB.