Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ELV Hog Hill Summer Series results

Stagiaire

Default ELV Hog Hill Summer Series results

Anyone got the Hog Hill results for last night?

Quote Originally Posted by lombywill View Post
    Chief Comm and/or the organiser

1st Cat

Default Results???

Quote Originally Posted by lombywill View Post
    Results just went up on BC sight.

Apparently the 3/4 race finished at the same time as the elite race... a bit of a shame, as we kept racing for another lap and I was 3rd in the second sprint.

We were shown 2 to go, then the E/1/2's caught us on what was their bell lap. General confusion, I think some may have contested the sprint on that lap? The majority kept riding around, assuming we had one more to go.

When I rode small circuit races like this in Canada, they would actually start the slower group first. This meant that the faster group would almost certainly catch them, but usually earlier in the race. This meant a second catch later on was less likely. The slow group would let the faster one through, and thus both groups had a clear run at the finish, as opposed to last night's confusion.
    Go Canada!

-Eric-

There's an easy solution to this problem at Hog Hill.

When the faster race is getting close behind the slower one the organisers should simply divert it once through the short cut at the bottom of the hill so that it's back in front.
    -----------------------------------
    www.PerfectCondition.Ltd.UK
    -----------Bike Fitting-----------
    -----------------------------------

2nd Cat

I did notice that we didn't seem to get a bell but that the flag was down as we came through on the lap the E1/2/3 race finished on. But as Eric says most people assumed that that wasn't the finish of our race and carried on to contest the sprint in the next lap.

as a general point I think that there was rather too relaxed an attitude about the two races being on together. whereas at Hillingdon you are told in clear terms to stay out of one another's races the line seemed pretty relaxed, possibly not helped by one set of numbers (although it was clear that the E1/2/3 numbers were 90 upwards the organiser didn't seem to know).

(also how about some new safety pins...)
    Last edited by Gray; 15-05-2009 at 07:49 PM.

I'm sure its only teething problems. Isn't it the first time we've had a summer series at Hog Hill?

With all the cut throughs shouldn't be to difficult to keep the races apart. I did an event at Dunton last year where they turned us (3/4's) in the straight to stop the races coming together before the end
    Floating upto the Roundhouse, before going to Croydon

2nd Cat

yes but hasn't the same organisation been running the winter series in a similar way (I don't know as I didn't go to any of them)?

Just seen the results on the BC Website only to find that the 5th place I got in the finish didn't stand. Apparently they decided to give the placings to the posistion the 3/4 cats which came over the line on the penultimate lap.
    Surely the owness is on the rider to know what lap they're on and for the organisers to award the places accordingly?
    Doesn't this set a dangerous president for the future races at Hog Hill where two races are running concurrently by giving 3/4 riders the incentive to 'jump' on the back of the 123 race, take a lead and cross the line or even sit on the back of the 123 bunch to get a lead? Especially as some of us moved aside to let the 123 race sprint for the finish.
    I fully understand it must have been a difficult race to judge with the two bunches comming together but with the very expensive photo finish equipment in place surely there's no excuse?

1st Cat

I think we were just very unlucky with the timing because the E/1/2s only caught us when they were finishing. If they had gone past us a couple of hundred metres earlier I'm sure we would have been able to finish the race. The officials must have been worried that theE/1/2s would sit up after the finish as we raced through them. In the end that didn't happen and they moved off the circuit pretty promptly.

I was at the back of the 3/4s bunch and like Tristan had moved aside to let the group through. I then heard the commissaire shout "You've finished". I sat up but saw the rest of the bunch race away so I chased back on thinking he must be talking to the E/1/2. I doubt any of the rest of our bunch heard the shout.

I don't think any of the 3/4 group were sprinting for a finish the first time round so the results are a bit of a lottery. If the camera has the records for the second sprint perhaps the results could be revised. I'm sure those with the placings would readily admit that they weren't going for the line first time round. I didn't get a place either time round so it makes no difference to me - it's just my version of events.

Many thanks to ELV and the officials for an otherwise excellent night's racing.

Elite

I have been speaking to Leslie about what can be learnt from the races this week and, as you can imagine this is already being discussed with the judges and Commissaire.

I am confident that we are gaining from the experience each time we run these races and they will get even better because of this.

She has asked me to thank the riders who supported the opening night of this event, and to thank them too for the consideration they have shown to her. In all 133 riders signed on for the races, and I'm sure they would all wish to join me in thanking her and everyone involved for a successful launch to the Hog Hill Summer Series.