49 Tom Castle Ipswich BC
    50 William Hunt Army Cycling Union
    51 Phil Garlick 45 Road Club
    52 Greg Payne Rockingham Forest Wheelers
    53 Chris hughes Cambridge CC
    54 Carmelo Luggeri CC Ashwell

Elite

Cheers Matt,

Great race, shame about the crash - and on one of the fastest parts of the circuit.
    If there was a silver lining that made sure there wasn't the usual carnage at the finish.
    Small consolation for those involved.

I hope everyone concerned got up and got back on the bike ok.

Same time next year? And with the same weather? I got a bit of a sun tan today!
    Only stop pedalling hard when bleeding stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    Cheers Matt,

Great race, shame about the crash - and on one of the fastest parts of the circuit.
    If there was a silver lining that made sure there wasn't the usual carnage at the finish.
    Small consolation for those involved.

I hope everyone concerned got up and got back on the bike ok.

Same time next year? And with the same weather? I got a bit of a sun tan today!
    I agree, a really good race, great weather, I have a nose like Rudolph.
    Them London Velo boys seem to be dropping like flies, happened right in front of me, yet another flat spot on my tires, and a brown spot in my bibs.
    Seems to be a lot of crashes so far this season, I really hope every one's OK.

Elite

Do you think it's the new stealth kit?

Today I watched as the rider in front of me steered gently into the wheel of my teammate while he concentrated on the scenery, talking to his neighbours, or the clouds, the sky. Then he steered violently away from the wheel he'd touched, lost his balance and steered back into the wheel to bring himself down. And me, and a bunch of others.

Two things - first, concentrate; and if you've overlapped your wheel then double concentrate: and secondly maybe practise touching wheels in training so you don't panic if it does happen in a race. Learn what it feels like and learn to keep your balance.

This crash was on a straight, level, fast wide part of the course, we were riding in the front ten of the bunch with maybe seven miles to the finish. Nobody was moving up or moving out. What could be safer?

Still love that course, that race, though. Cheers to Matt and everyone at St Ives CC.
    Last edited by Hugo Robins; 10-05-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Robins View Post
    Two things - first, concentrate; and if you've overlapped your wheel then double concentrate: and secondly maybe practise touching wheels in training so you don't panic if it does happen in a race. Learn what it feels like and learn to keep your balance.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

I really liked the comments of a rider in Yellow/Red just after the sprint calling everybody W#*@#*s. He touched a few wheels during the race, got shouted at for jumping into spaces that simply weren't there a few times. Obviously didn't think he was in the wrong whatsoever!

I felt that being a commissaire in my spare time, i should shout at riders a bit more to keep it safe in the bunch.....you know.....a bit of an elder statesman!!!!

Didn't see the crash coming though...that's usually in the last 200 metres :-)

Hope the leg heals up ok Hugo. Any news on Steve Newman? I heard through the grapevine he's got a few broken ribs?????

Isnt it time that we had some self policing, if two or more riders complain to the comms about dangerous riding after a race that rider is shown a yellow card and then red if it happens again for a two race ban.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    +1

[QUOTE=Nick E;44234]I really liked the comments of a rider in Yellow/Red just after the sprint calling everybody W#*@#*s. He touched a few wheels during the race, got shouted at for jumping into spaces that simply weren't there a few times. Obviously didn't think he was in the wrong whatsoever![/QUOTE)

Didn't witness this as was peeling myself off the road (after first aid peeled Nigel Hampton and Steve Newman off of me) But he wasn't the only one Saw the same guy involved in elbow battles with at least three riders to force his way into gaps that weren't there

Haven't spoken to Steve yet, but Nigel Hampton has some nasty shoulder damage.

Hope everyone else is okay and back on the bike soon

Elite

It is almost impossible for commissaires to be able to see bad riding in the front or middle of a bunch. Therefore I would expect that any bad or dangerous riding would be reported to the commissaire directly after the event, giving the riders number or name if known. Only then can action be taken. If the incident is serious enough I would speak to the rider informing him/her that the matter will be brought before the Regional Board for disciplinary action. If not that serious I would take them to one side and explain the error of their ways in no uncertain terms.

Brian Potts

Elite

Quote Originally Posted by pottsie View Post
    It is almost impossible for commissaires to be able to see bad riding in the front or middle of a bunch. Therefore I would expect that any bad or dangerous riding would be reported to the commissaire directly after the event, giving the riders number or name if known. Only then can action be taken. If the incident is serious enough I would speak to the rider informing him/her that the matter will be brought before the Regional Board for disciplinary action. If not that serious I would take them to one side and explain the error of their ways in no uncertain terms.

Brian Potts
    I'm up for that Brian. As long as the rider concerned doesn't see it as sour grapes, because that's what usually happens!

May be we should have commissaires riding in the bunch to police it from inside............?????

May be we should have commissaires riding in the bunch to police it from inside............?????
    Don't they do something like this at Hillingdon/Surrey league, maybe not with commissaires but at least with some senior riders?