Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Anglo Polymers Road Race

  1. #1

    Default Anglo Polymers Road Race

    01 Glenn Vinnicombe Cambridge CC
    02 Paul Verlander Team Endura
    03 David Ringo Finchley RT
    04 Matt Mannakee Boneshakerbikes.com
    05 Ian Samuel Crest CC
    06 Steve Hubbard Cambridge CC
    07 Tom Stephenson Ipswich BC
    08 Mark Botteley Bourne Wheelers
    09 Darren Cainey East London Velo
    10 Stuart Sargeant Team MK
    11 Brad Lamb Glade CC
    12 Oliver Thistlethwayte Newark Castle
    13 Neil Goodridge BC Private member
    14 Jonathan Marchini OUCC
    15 Christopher Wright Fenland Clarion
    16 Trevor Holmes Dis & District CC
    17 Ben Wright VC Revolution
    18 Andy Wylde St Ives CC
    19 Tom Caldwell St Ives CC
    20 Richard Clewes Swindon Wheelers
    21 Gary Dunne BC private member
    22 Nick Esser Velo Club Baracchi
    23 Andrew Clarke Ely & District
    24 Philip O'Dell Beds RC
    25 Colin Mannakee Glendene CC
    26 Leo Falkner St Ives CC
    27 Owen Lake
    28 Andrew Knowles North Norfolk Wheelers
    29 Paul Freeman Alpha RC
    30 Simon Asher VC Baracchi
    31 Richard Dunnett Diss & District
    32 Nigel Hobday Cambridge CC
    33 Richard Stanton Roy Pink Cycles RT
    34 Adrian Pettitt Stowmarket & district CC
    35 Richard Wood VC Revolution
    36 Matthew Cook API-Metrow
    37 Gonzalo Rodriguez East London Velo
    38 Stuart Lindsay Fenland Clarion
    39 Adrian Ward Shaftesbury CC
    40 Steven Kaye Fenland Clarion
    41 Simon Hime Finchley RT
    42 Neil Bryan Glade CC
    43 Justin Browne Glendene CC
    44 David Scott Welwyn Wheelers
    45 Nick Faint Finchley RT
    46 Andy Sykes Thames Velo
    47 Lee Desborough Ely & District
    48 Mark Farrow VC Norwich
    49 Tom Castle Ipswich BC
    50 William Hunt Army Cycling Union
    51 Phil Garlick 45 Road Club
    52 Greg Payne Rockingham Forest Wheelers
    53 Chris hughes Cambridge CC
    54 Carmelo Luggeri CC Ashwell

  2. #2
    Elite
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    1,487

    Default

    Cheers Matt,

    Great race, shame about the crash - and on one of the fastest parts of the circuit.
    If there was a silver lining that made sure there wasn't the usual carnage at the finish.
    Small consolation for those involved.

    I hope everyone concerned got up and got back on the bike ok.

    Same time next year? And with the same weather? I got a bit of a sun tan today!
    Only stop pedalling hard when bleeding stops.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    Cheers Matt,

    Great race, shame about the crash - and on one of the fastest parts of the circuit.
    If there was a silver lining that made sure there wasn't the usual carnage at the finish.
    Small consolation for those involved.

    I hope everyone concerned got up and got back on the bike ok.

    Same time next year? And with the same weather? I got a bit of a sun tan today!
    I agree, a really good race, great weather, I have a nose like Rudolph.
    Them London Velo boys seem to be dropping like flies, happened right in front of me, yet another flat spot on my tires, and a brown spot in my bibs.
    Seems to be a lot of crashes so far this season, I really hope every one's OK.

  4. #4
    Elite
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East London. . .
    Posts
    1,910

    Default

    Do you think it's the new stealth kit?

    Today I watched as the rider in front of me steered gently into the wheel of my teammate while he concentrated on the scenery, talking to his neighbours, or the clouds, the sky. Then he steered violently away from the wheel he'd touched, lost his balance and steered back into the wheel to bring himself down. And me, and a bunch of others.

    Two things - first, concentrate; and if you've overlapped your wheel then double concentrate: and secondly maybe practise touching wheels in training so you don't panic if it does happen in a race. Learn what it feels like and learn to keep your balance.

    This crash was on a straight, level, fast wide part of the course, we were riding in the front ten of the bunch with maybe seven miles to the finish. Nobody was moving up or moving out. What could be safer?

    Still love that course, that race, though. Cheers to Matt and everyone at St Ives CC.
    Last edited by Hugo Robins; 10-05-2009 at 10:38 PM.

  5. #5
    Elite
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    1,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Robins View Post
    Two things - first, concentrate; and if you've overlapped your wheel then double concentrate: and secondly maybe practise touching wheels in training so you don't panic if it does happen in a race. Learn what it feels like and learn to keep your balance.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

    I really liked the comments of a rider in Yellow/Red just after the sprint calling everybody W#*@#*s. He touched a few wheels during the race, got shouted at for jumping into spaces that simply weren't there a few times. Obviously didn't think he was in the wrong whatsoever!

    I felt that being a commissaire in my spare time, i should shout at riders a bit more to keep it safe in the bunch.....you know.....a bit of an elder statesman!!!!

    Didn't see the crash coming though...that's usually in the last 200 metres :-)

    Hope the leg heals up ok Hugo. Any news on Steve Newman? I heard through the grapevine he's got a few broken ribs?????
    Only stop pedalling hard when bleeding stops.

  6. #6

    Default

    Isnt it time that we had some self policing, if two or more riders complain to the comms about dangerous riding after a race that rider is shown a yellow card and then red if it happens again for a two race ban.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    +1

    [QUOTE=Nick E;44234]I really liked the comments of a rider in Yellow/Red just after the sprint calling everybody W#*@#*s. He touched a few wheels during the race, got shouted at for jumping into spaces that simply weren't there a few times. Obviously didn't think he was in the wrong whatsoever![/QUOTE)

    Didn't witness this as was peeling myself off the road (after first aid peeled Nigel Hampton and Steve Newman off of me) But he wasn't the only one Saw the same guy involved in elbow battles with at least three riders to force his way into gaps that weren't there

    Haven't spoken to Steve yet, but Nigel Hampton has some nasty shoulder damage.

    Hope everyone else is okay and back on the bike soon

  8. #8
    Elite
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    It is almost impossible for commissaires to be able to see bad riding in the front or middle of a bunch. Therefore I would expect that any bad or dangerous riding would be reported to the commissaire directly after the event, giving the riders number or name if known. Only then can action be taken. If the incident is serious enough I would speak to the rider informing him/her that the matter will be brought before the Regional Board for disciplinary action. If not that serious I would take them to one side and explain the error of their ways in no uncertain terms.

    Brian Potts

  9. #9
    Elite
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    1,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pottsie View Post
    It is almost impossible for commissaires to be able to see bad riding in the front or middle of a bunch. Therefore I would expect that any bad or dangerous riding would be reported to the commissaire directly after the event, giving the riders number or name if known. Only then can action be taken. If the incident is serious enough I would speak to the rider informing him/her that the matter will be brought before the Regional Board for disciplinary action. If not that serious I would take them to one side and explain the error of their ways in no uncertain terms.

    Brian Potts
    I'm up for that Brian. As long as the rider concerned doesn't see it as sour grapes, because that's what usually happens!

    May be we should have commissaires riding in the bunch to police it from inside............?????
    Only stop pedalling hard when bleeding stops.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    May be we should have commissaires riding in the bunch to police it from inside............?????
    Don't they do something like this at Hillingdon/Surrey league, maybe not with commissaires but at least with some senior riders?

Similar Threads

  1. CCC at Anglo Polymers RR
    By ego_land in forum Cambridge CC
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-05-2007, 01:12 PM
  2. Anglo Polymers RR (13 May)
    By Matt S in forum Cambridge CC
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-04-2007, 07:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •