Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaingang - UPDATED with route map

Default Chaingang - UPDATED with route map

Starting tonight.
    Please come - the more the merrier.
    6.30pm (just for this week - 6.45pm from next week on)
    Newnham corner
    An LED light might be wise for getting home - but we'll take the extra short route tonight.

Digby
    Digby Symons
    dds11@cam.ac.uk
    01223 760502

A very good start to this years Chaingang last night with ~20 riders.
    We kept the pace fairly steady at the start with almost everyone going through. We did lose a couple of people on the Kingston drag - and Tim Williams has sugested that there should be a regrouping point somewhere on this stretch to form a B group. There was a charge up Chapel Hill but a complete regrouping of over the top. After Foxton the pace did rise, as agreed.

I hope the chaingang can continue its popularity next week when we'll start at the normal time of 6.45pm.
    Digby Symons
    dds11@cam.ac.uk
    01223 760502

OK - Here is the proposal and the rationale...

Those who are dropped wait at the cross roads in Great Eversden (by The Hoops pub) and regroup. Obviously this means that anyone dropped before then should continue rather than go home. It also means that someone has to take the lead and stop!

I also suggest that this group waits for a second regrouping in Barrington (at the left turn for Foxton). That's better than waiting at the top of the Chapelberg because then everyone can practise riding hard over the top and down the other side rather than practise easing up at the top. (The front group should do this too)

The rationale for the proposal is that people seem to prefer to see how far they can get to starting off in a slower group - or being told to start in a slower group. This way is self-selecting. It also means that people can give the Chaingang a go, hopefully find a group that's going about the right speed and then get a full ride.

If it works well we can have a similar regrouping point on the long route too.

Tim.

BTW, this was Heather's idea.
    -----------------------------------
    www.PerfectCondition.Ltd.UK
    -----------Bike Fitting-----------

Thinking about turning up and seeing how long I can last at this. Do I need to take tri bars off the bike first?

If you can resist the temptation to use them when you're riding in a group then you don't need to take the tri-bars off. But if you can't - then you had better remove them!
    Digby Symons
    dds11@cam.ac.uk
    01223 760502

OK that's cool, cheers. Just heard that some people don't like riding in a group with tri bars in case they spear them if there's a pile-up...

How did the chaingang go? (I was busy and coundn't get there)
    www.PerfectCondition.Ltd.UK
    -----------Bike Fitting-----------

Blog Entries

Hi Tim!
    Loads of people - 20-30? (didn't count). From my perspective it was a typical First Chaingang of the Year. Felt on edge and used brakes too much (if only gently) and felt frustrated that I wasn't riding smoothly enough. Got dropped on Barrington. Surprised by how fast everyone else is. Got back on thanks to Emma, Rachel and George C's help. Huffed and puffed. Tried best to avoid scary riding and got back home just before dusk, with a big grin after experiencing the first 20mph+ ride of the year!
    :wink:

Pretty good I would say. We didn't need the first regrouping point because I think only one person coudn't take the pace. This was possibly because it was a little easier than last week, or perhaps because those who were dropped last week in Kingston tried a bit harder to stay on! There was a regrouping on the descent of the Chapelberg but it seemed logical to make something of a selection there and so we pressed on. I hope those who missed the split formed their own group in Barrington but I don't know. We still had a substantial leading pack on the run in.
    Digby Symons
    dds11@cam.ac.uk
    01223 760502

RichardH

Hi. I Joined you at Newnham Common for the first time last night, 19th (I was wearing my CC. Breckland Jersey partially concealled by black gillet with Union Jack on shoulder. Cheers for the warning about Chapleberg !!! (NOT), it came as a total surprise (like I didn't ecen know there were any hills in Cambs.) and although I tried to limit the damage undertaken there, I lost you in the lanes after that. I went through a place called foxton and ended up going back into the city along the A10 - Is theis the way you went, because I never saw you again. Although I live and work in Norwich, my girlriend lives in Cherry Hinton and it makes sense for me to join you sometimes on a tuesday. Hope this is ok, if not - drop me! (again) :mrgreen: