Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transporting bikes with BA

Blog Entries

Be aware that the BA weight limit has decreased from 32kg to 23kg since November.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of transporting bikes with British Airways? I'm planning on buying a hard bike case, but even many of the bags do not seem to fit in the dimensions specified by BA (240cm x 75cm x 65cm) with the 75cm dimension being the usual problem area. Anyone know how rigidly they are enforced?

Thanks,

Barney, Cambridge CC
    Are you sure of those dimensions? 240cm is 8ft!! Taking a tandem in one piece?

I got one of these. Tis fantastic.
    http://s2as.com/p/p-Dakine_Bike_Bag-746.aspx
    Rich. Putting the lard into bollard

3rd Cat

Quote Originally Posted by racyrich View Post

Yes, those are the max dimensions specified by BA, as I said it is only the 75cm dimension which is an issue (the bag you mention is 76cm, so you see my problem).

Today this came up (I've emailed BA to see if I can get some clarification):

"British Airways will introduce consistent maximum dimensions for baggage and a "special bag charge" for certain items to cover the additional cost of handling these items, with effect from 1 April 2009.

Changes are:
    · Maximum dimensions of items that can be checked in without incurring the special bag charge at all airports worldwide will be 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5ins x 29.5ins x 16ins)
    · Introduction of a £25 handling charge for bags between 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5ins x 29.5ins x 16ins) and 240cm x 75cm x 65cm (94.5ins x 29.5ins x 25.6ins),which will become the new maximum dimensions for baggage.
    · Introduction of a £25 handling charge for firearms

Stagiaire

Quote Originally Posted by racyrich View Post

Used it much?

Quote Originally Posted by lombywill View Post
    Used it much?
    I don't let little details like that bother me. If I did I'd worry about the 9 bikes that have serviced my 2 rides this year.
    Rich. Putting the lard into bollard

3rd Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    "British Airways will introduce consistent maximum dimensions for baggage and a "special bag charge" for certain items to cover the additional cost of handling these items, with effect from 1 April 2009.
    Finally got to the bottom of this and BA have said that they will take ANY cycle-specific single cycle case/bag OR any package within the required max dimensions.

Hopefully I shall get my bike to Italy without any problems, I shall repost here after the event.

Barney

2nd Cat

Travelled to Spain with BMI Baby 2 weeks ago and at check in they told me there was no weight limit for bike bags, so it didn't matter what it weighed.

3rd Cat

To Update:

Travelled to and from Italy with BA with no problems whatsoever. Neither dimensions nor weight was questioned either end.

Thanks for the comments,

B