Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Warning For Event Organisers.

  1. #1

    Default Warning For Event Organisers.

    I have heard of an organiser being asked for his bank details with regard an electronic entry. I am sure we are all aware that giving such information could be very costly, but think we all need to be on our guard.You never know who is looking at our activities !!!
    Alan Rosner. Heron Cyclesport.
    ALAN ROSNER

  2. #2
    Administrator ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sawston
    Posts
    2,901
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roz View Post
    I have heard of an organiser being asked for his bank details with regard an electronic entry. I am sure we are all aware that giving such information could be very costly, but think we all need to be on our guard.You never know who is looking at our activities !!!
    Alan Rosner. Heron Cyclesport.
    Alan,

    any information you give to someone to facilitate an internet banking payment is on every single cheque you write, so it's already out there.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Alan,

    any information you give to someone to facilitate an internet banking payment is on every single cheque you write, so it's already out there.

    But then an organiser doesn't normally give the rider a cheque - unless it's prize money.

  4. #4

    Default

    Chris , I understand what you say but think of this situation, Fred Whatsisname ( anywhere in the world ) sends an e-mail to a race organiser saying " I want to enter your race electronically, give me your bank details so I can pay in the entry fee". We have recently had someone in the region who alleged to having money removed from his account by someone he gave his bank details to online. If you can assure me that this cannot happen, then I will gladly admit to being corrected.
    Regards, Alan.
    ALAN ROSNER

  5. #5
    Administrator ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sawston
    Posts
    2,901
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roz View Post
    Chris , I understand what you say but think of this situation, Fred Whatsisname ( anywhere in the world ) sends an e-mail to a race organiser saying " I want to enter your race electronically, give me your bank details so I can pay in the entry fee". We have recently had someone in the region who alleged to having money removed from his account by someone he gave his bank details to online. If you can assure me that this cannot happen, then I will gladly admit to being corrected.
    Regards, Alan.
    I think any UK bank would have a hard time holding the account holder responsible for any funds withdrawn without a signature or more information than just account number and sort code - which is all you need for internet banking.

  6. #6

    Default

    Fair comment Chris. I was just thinking " better safe than sorry !! "
    Regards, Alan.
    ALAN ROSNER

  7. #7
    Rich. Putting the lard into bollard

  8. #8

    Default

    Thanks for reminding us of this Rich !! I quote from one of my favourite tv programmes, Hill Street Blues - " Lets be carefull out there !! "
    Before the clever clogs chip in, No it was not a silent black & white film !!
    Alan - getting old slowly - Rosner.
    ALAN ROSNER

Similar Threads

  1. Warning madman about!
    By The Bish in forum The North Road CC
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20-09-2007, 10:21 AM
  2. Changes in field planning (for organisers)
    By Nigel Grainge in forum Event News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-01-2007, 10:07 PM
  3. Event dates?
    By IanC in forum The North Road CC
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-03-2006, 07:57 PM
  4. Anyone Riding the E2 event on Saturday?
    By John-Paul in forum Cambridge CC
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 12:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •