Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chain gangs

I'm looking forward to doing my first chain gang this year. I confidently expect to last at least 200 yards.

Speaking of people who go very fast, I wouldn't mind some help identifying a mystery cyclist...

When I commute home at about 5:30pm I usually go round the back of the botanical gardens (Trumpington Road) and then past Addenbrookes (Long Road) before heading via Queen Edith's Way up Mowbray Road. Although I usually go c.20mph, every now and again an unidentified cyclist using the same route goes past me like I'm standing still. Last night I was spinning out on 52 x 16 just to keep up.

He has brown hair, a red bike (possibly Lemond) and black Sidi shoes. Annoyingly he also wears rather baggy trousers so I can't attribute his performance to superior aerodynamics.

Does anyone know who this is? Is is a CCC member or perhaps one of the local triathletes? I'm hoping for the sake of my self-esteem someone's going to tell me Fabian Cancellara has moved to Cambridge.

The chain gang doesn't go at 32mph (or at least it never did last year when I rode it.) Maybe for the last couple of miles before the sprint finish. And even then there'd need to be a tailwind...

I think it typically averages about 25mph. But the average speed isn't going to tell you much - you won't get dropped when it's jsut chugging along on the flat, it's going up the hills or accelerating out of the corners that it'll hurt. Guess the only way to find out is to give it a go

Absolutely.
    When we first start we will be on the short route and will probably ride fairly gently for the first flat miles, probably steadyish all the way to Chapel Hill, so that everyone gets a chance to ride in a fastish group for some of the distance.
    All welcome - please come along.

Digby
    Digby Symons
    dds11@cam.ac.uk
    01223 760502

Quote Originally Posted by dds11
    Absolutely.
    When we first start we will be on the short route and will probably ride fairly gently for the first flat miles, probably steadyish all the way to Chapel Hill, so that everyone gets a chance to ride in a fastish group for some of the distance.
    All welcome - please come along.

Digby
    steadyish (lol) Not if douglas is out it wont be :-)

2nd Cat

Quote Originally Posted by dds11
    probably steadyish all the way to Chapel Hill
    Is this a different chain gang to the normal one?

Blog Entries

Well the first chaingang of the year is normally absolutely heaving with both town & gown, which means it's pretty hard to get dropped because the group is so big. It's also pretty scary, because some of the riders aren't necessarily so great at group riding.

2nd Cat

There used to be two chain gangs (one, fast, from Newnham corner and one, less fast, 5 minutes behind starting from the 1st layby on A603) but last year they merged so I think we had 50 odd people at one point - which was a bit too large, although the odd crash helped reduce the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    There used to be two chain gangs (one, fast, from Newnham corner and one, less fast, 5 minutes behind starting from the 1st layby on A603) but last year they merged so I think we had 50 odd people at one point - which was a bit too large, although the odd crash helped reduce the numbers.
    Which I think is a good idea. First group away full of 2nd cats and below.

Then rest of us. If your not licenced go with the first group.

Inviting everyone along and all heading out in one big group is stupid.

Cheers
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dstaite
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Which I think is a good idea. First group away full of 2nd cats and below.

Then rest of us. If your not licenced go with the first group.

Inviting everyone along and all heading out in one big group is stupid.

Cheers
    Dan
    'The rest of us' being you and me most weeks Dan (i.e not 2nd cat or below), if you want to do some 2-up practice just ask :wink: .

I think splitting the chaingang in two is a good idea but it is going to be hard, everyone will want to be in the same group even if there is the possibility of getting dropped and riding on your own, or of waiting for a second, slower group.

Dave,

2nd Cat

Tim
    Is Heather going to be running a Ladies chain gang this year? If so when will it start?
    There are at least 4 CCC ladies (probably more) who are keen to do this this year if there are enough Ladies from the tri club and Uni club to make a good sized group.
    helen

gradually retreating northwards