Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: ERRL team winners 2007

  1. #1

    Default ERRL team winners 2007

    The new race category system will have a key effect on the team competition.

    This year, over half the points will be won in less than a quarter of the races, i.e. Nat B

    Conversely, 3rd and 4th Cat only races (Reg B & C+) although the most numerous and comprising over 40% of the races, only have 14% of the points allocation.

    Will the team competition be a shoo-in for any Elite sponsored team that turns up to the National races? Has the original aim of the ERRL, i.e. regional level racing for local teams, been maintained?

  2. #2
    Administrator ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sawston
    Posts
    2,901
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: ERRL team winners 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    Has the original aim of the ERRL, i.e. regional level racing for local teams, been maintained?
    John,

    this has been well-covered already. The League has outgrown that notion, and is now under a larger obligation to provide racing for all.

    As far as your observations go - there are scant few Elite riders riding for ERRL teams. Many of the points on offer in national level events will go begging to non-ERRL riders, unlike the events at regional level, so your analysis, whilst correct, fails to reflect the reality of the situation.

  3. #3
    2nd Cat dstaite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In the garage 'tweaking'
    Posts
    416

    Default Re: ERRL team winners 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    Has the original aim of the ERRL, i.e. regional level racing for local teams, been maintained?
    John,

    this has been well-covered already. The League has outgrown that notion, and is now under a larger obligation to provide racing for all.

    As far as your observations go - there are scant few Elite riders riding for ERRL teams. Many of the points on offer in national level events will go begging to non-ERRL riders, unlike the events at regional level, so your analysis, whilst correct, fails to reflect the reality of the situation.
    Nice quote on the Lea valley 'classic' chris on london cycle sport. Hopefully will see a strong field this year although it does clash with a national A.

    I look forward to riding a few ERRL races when I have a spare weekend.

    Take Care
    Dan

  4. #4

    Default Re: ERRL team winners 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    Has the original aim of the ERRL, i.e. regional level racing for local teams, been maintained?
    John,

    this has been well-covered already. The League has outgrown that notion, and is now under a larger obligation to provide racing for all.
    Then you had better change page 1 of this website:

    The Eastern Road Race League, formerly known as the Essex Road Race League, is the premier organisation for club-level road racing in the East of England.

  5. #5
    Administrator ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sawston
    Posts
    2,901
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: ERRL team winners 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    Then you had better change page 1 of this website:

    The Eastern Road Race League, formerly known as the Essex Road Race League, is the premier organisation for club-level road racing in the East of England.
    Why? Is that statement not true any more? As far as I can see, the ERRL DOES supply the bulk of club-level events in the Eastern Division. If it's not EXCLUSIVELY club-level, does that matter?

  6. #6

    Default Re: ERRL team winners 2007

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    Then you had better change page 1 of this website:

    The Eastern Road Race League, formerly known as the Essex Road Race League, is the premier organisation for club-level road racing in the East of England.
    Why? Is that statement not true any more? As far as I can see, the ERRL DOES supply the bulk of club-level events in the Eastern Division. If it's not EXCLUSIVELY club-level, does that matter?
    Well, yes!

    Due to the knock-on effect of the BC race categorisation/points change and ERRL having to put in Nat B instead of Nat C, the deciding factor in the competition will be how many non-ERRL non-club level / elite riders turn up for the Nat B races and dilute the available points. (The 9 out of 37 National B races will carry 55% of the points)

    A bit like the ECCA Festival road race to the Festival competition, where you had to look and see how many non-ECCA finished in front of you, although that was only a minor factor in the overall.

    This time the number of non-ERRL turning up will be the deciding factor of the overall.

  7. #7
    Administrator ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sawston
    Posts
    2,901
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    What has who wins the ERRL got to do with what racing it provides?

    And my argument about how many points will be awarded to ERRL riders at National B events still stands.

  8. #8

    Default

    Who cares if there are non ERRL riders in our races? I don't. The ERRL isn't an exclusive club, its just a way to make lots of races happen, the ERRL competition (in my opinion) is just a little bonus on the side. I won't be targeting the individual points competition this year (just like the other years), I shall be trying to get results against quality opposition, I don't care if they're in the Glade, TEE, Team MK or PCA.

    I would like our open races to be just that, OPEN! I'm fed up (already) of the idea of travelling all over the place all the time to race against higher quality opposition (something I would not have to do too often if I lived in Surrey or the North west). The situation at the moment for higher category riders outside the region is that they won't travel into the region to race (because of our ERRL boys club, an attitude that is slowly changing) but if you're inside the region and want to race, you will have to travel out.

    JohnC, you take on the responsibility for developing U16 riders (extremely commendable I might add), what are they to race when they become Juniors? Chippers? Perhaps for a little while. What will they do after that when they move up a category or two? They will want to ride big races, hopefully some of them in the Eastern Region. And what better vehicle for big races than the ERRL? Or are you going to give them driving lessons as well?

    Screw this, I'm off to Lanzarote for a week. Bye.

  9. #9
    1st Cat speedyshaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bungay, Suffolk
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Mclean

    I would like our open races to be just that, OPEN! I'm fed up (already) of the idea of travelling all over the place all the time to race against higher quality opposition (something I would not have to do too often if I lived in Surrey or the North west). The situation at the moment for higher category riders outside the region is that they won't travel into the region to race (because of our ERRL boys club, an attitude that is slowly changing) but if you're inside the region and want to race, you will have to travel out.
    Or stay a 2nd cat :roll: :wink:

  10. #10

    Default

    I will not be targeting the individual points competition this year either.

    Rich.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •