Thread: Fakenham RR Cancelled

Blog Entries

Default Fakenham RR Cancelled

Trevor Brown (ERV) has cancelled the Fakenham Classic RR due to 'lack of support'. Anyone from ERV prepared to comment? Under League rules, this means that ERV will be unable to register for next year's campaign. :shock:

Yes that's correct, Trevor has been forced to cancel the race.

No-one's as dissappointed as me about this, because it means we won't be in the league next year, and our racing will be severely restricted. :x

Trevor told me that it was a lack of support - of both riders and helpers - although helpers could have been mustered if necessary.

The lack of riders I think was due to the race being held in Fakenham, which, if anyone's ever tried to get to, takes a very long time... Trevor had insisted on holding the race there, as it's his home town, he could suss out the course, and he would be able to get helpers more easily.

Unfortunately, this backfired and only 15 entries were received, which wasn't enough to cover the cost of the hall, let alone prize money etc...

So I won't be appearing at the AGM to plead our case again - last year's promises are still fresh in my mind, and i'll look pretty foolish if I even attempted to apologise for a second year.

Personally, I'd like to apologise for riders who had entered, and are now left without a race, or having to pay extra to enter on the line for another one. We knew as much as you...

Heard about this at the Eastern Div AGM last night. Lack of entries is the reason being touted, as we know. Interesting then that the organiser hadn't even applied for a permit. This race would not have been allowed to take place anyway. Now if I had a cynical mind....
    Anyway, much as AGMs bore the pants off me, I'm looking forward to the ERRL one now.
    Rich. Putting the lard into bollard

Blog Entries

Rich,

any other interesting news from the AGM?

Chris

Rich

The ERV riders are extremely disappointed at the situation that has arisen. We have not been involved in the planning of the race and therefore did not know that an application for a permit had not been made.

As it stands at the moment we are without a race and also will be disqualified from the league next year. A great way to finish the season!!

Yeah - the agm should be a giggle (to non ERV people)... - I may attend, to watch trevor return the trophy - cos I sure as hell ain't doing it!

Blog Entries

I've just had an e-mail from Joan Potts, worrying that people would be giving Derek Lusher a hard time over the permit. Apparently, Derek was prepared to try to rush through the permit application with the police, but Trevor Brown was very evasive, and Derek has the impression that Trevor was trying to avoid speaking to him. Really looks like he didn't want to promote the race, doesn't it :?:

As members of the ERV team we know how evasive he can be!

I feel sorry for Derek as he does a lot for our sport in this region.

Hi Chris.
    No, can't say there was much of interest at the AGM. Course if you want to go to the National Council to represent Eastern I'm sure they'd be delighted to hear from you. Who could resist a day out in Accrington :-p

Some of you may have heard of the Tour of the South, a proposed 5 day next September, run off in 5 separate divisions. Eastern have been asked to run the penultimate (Saturday) day of it. Doesn't sound too exciting though, it'll end up just a standard circuit based RR for a Premier Calendar quality field, just the workload will be spread over lots more clubs.
    Rich. Putting the lard into bollard

:roll: You would think looking at us ERV riders on the road that we have a good set up with a keen dedicated team manager behind the scenes, Wrong, it started out that way, well kind of. I sent Trevor an e-mail sunday night after our slip up in the glendene rr, giving him our results, i won the cross at eastway on saturday then we took 2nd,5th and 10th in the glendene rr on sunday. No reply of congratulations, no news of the Fakenham Classic, the first i hear that it's been cancelled is like most of the other riders who entered it - a letter in the post with my cheque in it on tuesday morning. :evil: It's not like he can't put on an event, his cyclo-cross race in january is one of the best in the area.