Dear all,

I hope that you and your families are safe and well, and you are coping with these unsettling times.

I wanted to provide you, as our much-valued team of commissaires, accredited marshals and NEG members, with an update from British Cycling, as we continue to navigate our way through the coronavirus pandemic and its implications on organised cycling.

As you know, our current suspension is up to and including June 30. While we would love – as I’m sure you would – to recommence cycling after this suspension period, the ongoing uncertainty means it would be remiss of us not to also be planning for a further suspension, should that become a necessity.

I can assure you that we are working hard to put plans in place for a return to racing, whenever that is possible, and we will keep you posted in this respect.
Regardless of when that does happen, the racing calendar for the summer disciplines will obviously need to be condensed significantly. This presents some considerable logistical challenges, but we are currently in discussion with organisers, discipline commissions, Scottish Cycling and Welsh Cycling in order to ensure that, when racing does return, the calendar is as full and as balanced as possible.

You will have seen in the last few weeks that the UCI have issued statements clarifying their current position on returning to racing, and that this included a new sanctioned date for federations to organise their national road championships (the week ending August 23). While it is fantastic to see organisations beginning to look forward to a time when this situation may have passed, I wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate to you all that British Cycling will only consider sanctioning races again once the UK Government, local authorities and emergency services deem it safe to do so.

The health and wellbeing of all involved in the sport must remain our number one priority, and all decisions regarding returning to racing will be made with that in mind.

Thank you for your ongoing support, and please continue to take care during the coming weeks and months.

Kind Regards,

Danielle Every

Cycling Delivery Director