Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGM Notice 2019

Elite

Default AGM Notice 2019

Notice of 2019
    Eastern Road Race League Annual General Meeting

The Annual General Meeting will be held at the Chelmer CC Club Room, Meteor Way,
    Chelmsford, CM1 2RL.

Saturday 23rdth November 2019 1.30pm for 2.00pm

Items for the agenda and applications for membership must be sent to the Secretary by Saturday 30th October 2019.

BC Eastern Region are starting a club/team league in 2020; the basic details can be obtained from me.

To enable the ERRL to continue in line with the new league significant amendments to ERRL rules will be required. These proposed rule changes will be posted on the Forum at a later date together with the BC Eastern League requirements for road and circuit events.

Please do not pay your ERRL membership fee until after the AGM, because if the rule changes are not accepted by the delegates at the AGM the ERRL will have to be suspended until a solution can be found.

Margaret Hargreaves
    Colchester Rovers CC
    Secretary ERRL

margaret.merrick@hotmail.com
    Joan Potts

Elite

Eastern Region Competition League

Aims

To allow all genders and ages to contribute to their club/teams success

To value the work of volunteers

To give a reason to be a member of a club/team

To get clubs/teams to focus on attracting new members

To recognise the club/teams providing cycling opportunities for the benefit of their region.

The Plan Going Forward

In 2020 the league will run for all Circuit, Road and Track events both competitive and coaching run in the Eastern Region

In 2021 it will encompass all disciplines and will also cover both competition and coaching

The reason for this is purely the logistics and admin, we need to get it right and I think we can do this by the staggered implementation.

How it will work

The League will be open to all clubs, teams and associations registered in the Eastern Region

Like any league, points will be awarded, but in this case it will not just be for those who ride, points will also be earned by volunteer activity

Events will give priority to Eastern Riders, especially Juniors (when allowed) with a 40% reserved field in National B races, no other priorities will be allowed.

Volunteers will be rewarded for work done in the Eastern Region.

How to gain points

Running events, for every event run the club/team will be rewarded (subject to proper calendar planning). Clubs can combine to run events and share the points

Club Coaches running club clusters, RSR’s Development centres. School holiday projects

Officials (Commissaires, Referees, AM’s) in the club will be rewarded at every event they work on in the Eastern region.

Any rider pre-entering an Eastern Region event will generate points. (No points for entry on the day)

Any rider finishing the race will be rewarded on a sliding scale (more points for a win) An U8’s win will be as much value as an Elites win.

The Hopeful Outcome

To get more riders

To get more officials

To get people to join clubs and teams

To encourage riders to pre enter

To get small organisations to join together and promote or assist

To recognise the efforts of all involved

An ongoing news item for the region on which people can focus

The Reward

Something for the club, this could be a session at the Velodrome or help with equipment for coaching, but it must benefit all in the club

So a bit TBC

A glitter ball

You have the choice of the event you want to run

The Rules (TBC)

No League registration fee

League runs from 1st January to 31st December

Club or team must be registered by 1st Feb ?

Events must be registered in a timely manor

If a rider or official changes club/team points are not transferable

Only one change in a year (accept under extreme circumstances)

Points only awarded for activity within the Eastern Region

The regional boards decision is final

The Challenges

Accurate data

The time it will take to update
    Joan Potts

2nd Cat

Hi Joan,

As you mention the above plans will have a massive impact to the ERRL if it were indeed to continue. Do you or the League have any thoughts on potention changes, options or directions to think about in preparation for the AGM? There is obviously a lot to discuss here so it would be handy to have some focus points. Specifically I wondered what your thoughts were in terms of race organisation, entry prioritisation and how to ensure a sufficient number of races if the current league rules were no more. Also do the BC rules rules allow for us to still apply an additional layer of ERRL rules over and above those in the new proposals?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

On a side note, the day of the AGM falls on both mine and Matt Cowan's (PCH representatives for some of the previous AGMs) birthdays, so we will be unable to attend. Please accept our apologies for absense in advance but I will endeavoured to find an alternative attendee. I will pass on any thoughts or discussion points in advance if we have any.

Many thanks,
    Steve

Elite

Hi Steve,

The new Eastern Rules are below. Eastern have requested we replace our selection rule with theirs and remove the need for clubs/teams to provide an Accredited Marshal.

It will mean that ERRL riders will no longer get preference, but as numbers are decreasing we have not had to impose that rule hardly at all this year except for a few National B events, most Regional events did not have a full field of ERRL riders.

If you or anyone else has any feedback or suggestions for the new league please send them to: ercl@bceastern.co.uk

THE EASTERN LEAGUE RULES

1. The league is open to any club, team or association registered with British Cycling Eastern by the 31st January

2. The competition will only count for events held within the BC Eastern region, an event will be a race of any category or a coaching session

3. Only riders and officials (event organiser, commissaire, referee, accredited marshal, NEG, BC registered coach) that hold British Cycling membership within the BC Eastern Region will gain points when competing, officiating or running an event held within the BC Eastern region

4. The league will run from 1st January to 31st December of each year

5. All competition events must be registered a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the start date to allow everyone a fair opportunity to enter

6. The closing date for all competition events will be 2 weeks for a road race, and 3 days for a circuit and track event prior to the start date

7. Priority entry for races will be given to Eastern riders, with preference to Eastern Juniors where allowed by BC tech regulations

8. Only 40% of the field in a National B will have an Eastern priority to enable a higher level of racing

9. If a field selection has to be made, there will be no more than 3 riders from 1 club/team allowed, the selection will be made based on points from the current year and the previous year, if the maximum number of entries is not made the 3 rider limit can be ignored

10. Reserves are selected at the discretion of the organiser

11. Points for the league will be awarded in the following way:
    a. Organising a race (clubs/teams can combine to run events and the points will be shared)
    b. Running a coaching session that has been advised to the Regional Clubs and Coaching Officer
    c. Any club/team member who is registered with BC HQ as an official (see rule 3)
    d. Anytime the official is active in an event (competition or coaching) held within the BC Eastern region
    e. A rider pre-entering a race on the BC entry management system
    f. A rider finishing a race.

12. The level of points to be awarded will be published prior to the start of the year and no change will be made during that period

13. If a rider or official changes club/team during the year (see rule 4) any points gained WILL NOT transfer to their new club/team, and only 1 change will be allowed each year

14. The prizes awarded will have to benefit all members of the club/team the list of awards will be published prior to the start of the league

15. The decision of the Eastern Region Board is final.
    Joan Potts

1st Cat

Hi Joan,

I understand with the reduction in entries that the selection fields have seldom been used this year but if the new Eastern selection rules replace the ERRL ones what is the incentive to be in the ERRL, riders would get preferential entry just by being in an eastern club and their club wouldn't have to put on a race.

Why would new clubs join the ERRL and wouldn't some leave given the large undertaking a road race is to organise. As both an organiser and rider of the ERRL road races this to me would seem to impact negatively on them at a time where participation seems to be slowing anyway.

Regards

Steve (ELV)

Elite

Hi Steve,

I agree with your comments.

The only incentive to be in the ERRL is for the points competitions for individual riders and clubs/teams. The new BC League is not for riders just clubs/teams.

If the delegates at our AGM do not agree our rule changes then the ERRL will be suspended for 2020. It is up to the clubs/teams to make sure their delegates vote the way they want them to.

If the ERRL is suspended there will possibly be less events in Eastern Region for the reasons you stated. Even if the ERRL continues there may still be less events with clubs failing to continue in the league.

It could be BC's loss, but that is the risk they have decided to take.
    Last edited by pottsie; 05-10-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    Joan Potts

2nd Cat

Hi Joan,

Thank you for providing clarity here. Given these fundamental changes, if the ERRL isn't suspended, am I right in thinking that member and potential new joining clubs/teams will need to understand/go through the new and decide if they wish to continue/leave/join all at the AGM. Is it possible to see where the board of the ERRL stand on this? It just seems like quite a few moving parts and some big decisions to be made on one afternoon.

Thanks,
    Steve

Elite

Hi Steve,

You are correct, that is exactly what they will need to do.

The first part of the AGM before we make any decisions will be a question and answer session with Ian Doe, so that delegates will have a fuller idea of the implications that will effect the ERRL.

I am also sure the new league will be discussed at the BC Eastern Date Fixing Meeting at Boreham on 16th November starting at 2pm. I urge ERRL clubs to attend this meeting.
    Joan Potts

Stagiaire

Out of interest did BC give the ERRL much of a heads up on this? It does not come across that way based on the fact it has been circulated to clubs in October. Is it something being rolled out across multiple regions are is Eastern the guinea pig? I can see what they are trying to achieve, but if they haven't spoken to existing "leagues" like the ERRL, or the Cross guys for example, who have to operate within a BC framework, and have thus spent years dealing with the natural progression of things (changes to risk requirements, courses, marshalling systems, traffic levels), I cannot see them getting the outcome they want.

Elite

Hi Will,

I was told about it at the Interbike event on 1st September. There was a power point presentation at the BC Eastern AGM a few days later and I spent an afternoon with Ian Doe assisting him with his rules so that hopefully it does not impact too much on the ERRL.

It is only for Eastern Region and I don't think it is going to be rolled out over the other BC Regions, but you can't tell as if they like it they may also adopt it.

I have spoken to a few accredited marshals and they are not bothered about getting points for doing a job they enjoy doing. As a commissaire I am also not bothered. It has been said to me that volunteers do what they do because they want to put something back into the sport they love.

I would suggest that people attend the BC Date Fixing Meeting where I am sure this new league will be discussed.

It is the hope of the ERRL Committee that we can continue in 2020 alongside this new league and maybe if the new league does not work out as BC Eastern hope it will not continue into 2021 and we can revert to our 2019 rules.
    Joan Potts