Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri-athletes must be loaded

Perhaps Tim can clarify further (not that he should feel that he has to), but from my experience of triathlons/duathlons, things like PA and chip timing systems are fairly essential, in addition to this, there may be a requirement for police accredited marshals on an open road course (there certainly will be for british cycling races from this year onwards) and private security to manage the racking of circa £350,000 worth of bikes.

Given that the average club road race charges in the region £15-20 for around 60 people, relies entirely on club members volunteering (thanks again for those members who gave up their time helping) for the running of the race and generally tend to break even without making any money its quite easy to see how a larger event, requiring the rental of bigger facilities to cater for the 350 entrants, with more initial fixed charges, would incur significantly higher running costs even whilst breaking even.

Tim's previous post also seemed to indicate that the Tri Club relies on making a profit from holding events in order to subsidize the cost of pool rental for its members (or at least juniors?) for the rest of the year. Seems logical to me. If people will pay it, then go for it. If, however, you think its too much money there is a pretty simple solution.

This thread is perhaps a good indication of what goes into organising events both large and small, and that the true cost and human effort is perhaps somewhat unappreciated. Whilst the clubs road race has now past for the season, the TTing season is nearly upon us and I would strongly encourage all members to come out and support the clubs efforts in running these events.

Clubrun Cowboy

The fee in question is about the same as for a well organised sportive well worth the money - cycling is fast turning away from early morning lone pedals along soulless dual carriageways then calling it a race! Perhaps the question Duncan should be asking is why TT and RR competitors are not covering full cost of their chosen cycling and relying on subsides from other non-racing members?

Perhaps the question should be "What would be the point of joining a club which didn't support a race program?"

I cycle with my friends for free and I can support cycling in general through the Cambridge Cycling Campaign or CTC.

Or why does racing cost money at all? It's free to ride on the roads - if it wasn't for the CTT fees a club 10 could in theory be run for nothing. I doubt it will be long before Strava start organizing digital races - you just turn up at the agreed time and place with your bike and GPS, race and the results get calculated automatically for free.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    The fee in question is about the same as for a well organised sportive well worth the money - cycling is fast turning away from early morning lone pedals along soulless dual carriageways then calling it a race!
    Really? Depends what you class as cycling. My definition doesn't include a bunch of 4x4 driving, all the gear and no idea MAMIL posers who like to pay to enter pretend races so they can convince themselves that they are rather good.

Racing on open roads isn't free because of the (un) holy trinity of "the Cycle Racing on Highways Regulations" http://lvrc.org/documents/road_traffic_act_1960.pdf, Health and Safety and Insurance. Loosely put the police have to approve and heath and safety check any time trial or race on the open road and as an organiser/promotor you are held legally responsible for safety of your participants and could be sued, hence the requirement of event insurance (http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/mem...Cycling-Events). Given that you are so keen to be involved in free road racing events Duncan, can I recommend that you attempt to organise and run one, I for one would be interested in the outcome.

Personally I think the future of UK road racing is going to involve sportives somehow. They are so lucrative that the funds raised from them can easily be used to insure a "proper" race run off at the same time, on the same course. I'm sure a large prize pot will help encourage the elite rider's snobbish qualms concerning sportive riding. It's how it's done in Italy, which has a very competitive sportive scene involving what are (in all but name) professional gran fondo teams.

The wiggle series cost £20/£30 with a limit of 1000 entries .. as you say they are lucrative, and I would happily pay to be dropped by a professional team.

On this issue of using club funds to support racing. From the website A major raison d'etre of Cambridge CC is to promote and participate in cycle racing. We are a racing club, if individuals are willing to put in the hard work to organize an event I think its right the club should stand behind it financially.

I benefit from this in a small way, but I would equally back the use of club money to support a womens road race or a development squad.
    Last edited by MartinC; 04-04-2014 at 04:23 PM.