10 Peter Morris (2) ASL360
    11 Matt Cowan (3) Pro Cycle Hire UK Racing Team
    12 Paul Holdsworth (2) Hounslow & District
    13 John Peters (2) CC Luton
    14 Lobomir Belak (2) St Ives CC
    15 Patrick Martin (2) Windymilla
    16 Mark Morris (4) Finsbury Park CC
    17 Franscisco Pizarro (4) Beeston RC
    Last edited by Hugo Robins; 14-10-2013 at 07:50 AM.

2nd Cat

Well done to all who rode and especially to those with the strength, luck and/or skill to finish.

As this is the first time this course has been used for several years we'd be interested in feedback in particular on the farm track and the finish. The farm track seemed to be responsible for a lot of the punctures - how many of these were pinch punctures and how many of those - obviously hard to judge - were down to running lower pressure because of the conditions?

Given the finish was on a busy B road with HGVs thundering past at 60mph we didnt feel confident about stopping oncoming traffic at the finish. Obviously not a problem today but would you feel safe in a bunch sprint knowing you had to stay on the left?

Please let us know what you think so we can decide whether to use the course/finish again.

Gray Turnock
    Finsbury Park

Slight correction necessary: 1st place Alex Minting 2nd cat and 3rd place Richard Prebble 2nd cat/Vet.

[Now amended above - Hugo]
    Last edited by Hugo Robins; 14-10-2013 at 07:51 AM.

1st Cat

I too rode the course several years ago and cant remember the mud in the chicane, so there must be some concrete under there somewhere?

I used heavier tyres than the normal to avoid flints. Fairly confident pinches weren't the problem for the punctures just flints if you went off the line in the track.

Finish wise, the track sorted people out and once the gaps open up in the track there's no getting back on terms, even if there were 50 or more finishing together, it'd be stretched out on that finish, plus the road is wider than normal.
    Last edited by IJF; 14-10-2013 at 09:36 AM.

I thought it was a good course, and especially with the farm track coming before the draggy climb to the finish. I don't think pinch flat were responsible for many/any of the punctures. If they were then they must have chosen a terrible line. I think it was more the terrible weather.

I think keeping the fnish open would be fine, although it was not mentioned at the start, which I would think should be said for next time. Congratulations to all those that finished. I think it was the most attritional race of the season.....

I agree that it was good but I do think the left turn from the farm track onto the hill needs great care. It would be very easy to overshoot and be on the wrong side of the road. One time when we came out there was a car going past and it could have been nasty.

2nd Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I agree that it was good but I do think the left turn from the farm track onto the hill needs great care. It would be very easy to overshoot and be on the wrong side of the road. One time when we came out there was a car going past and it could have been nasty.
    Thanks guys. We definitely need to ensure riders are briefed on course hazards in future - turn out of the track noted - there were also a few bits of risky riding from dripped riders at the chicane where oncoming traffic has priority. We will make it cleqr dropped riders must give way or use the cycle cut through on the left.

Note what you say Ian about the finish but we're still concerned that it is not a safe place to have race officials and spectators milling about. Were thinking about the north end of the long straight road (Swanland rd) on the other side of the course. Its been used in the past apparently.

3rd Cat

Hi Gray, if you'd have asked me I could have given you more details about how we used it when I first opened the circuit up as our first race for the Finchley RT. Admittedly it was a summer race but we cleaned the track the day before so the riders had a reasonable road surface, no punctures in the 3 seasons that we run it and the finish was on the rise at the end of Swanlands road which was wide and easy to stop traffic.

There are other finishing spots which could be used and have been used in the pass, after the climb you have a long descend under the M25 and before the shi-cane, its fast and down hill, or after the last roundabout, left hand turn at South Mimms about a mile of dead flat before the bridge was a popular finish back in the 80's and finally won that I won many moons ago was on Swanland road just past the Vet collage turn the road rises up and is very wide a good finish there.

2nd Cat

Quote Originally Posted by EnergyGel View Post
    Hi Gray, if you'd have asked me I could have given you more details about how we used it when I first opened the circuit up as our first race for the Finchley RT. Admittedly it was a summer race but we cleaned the track the day before so the riders had a reasonable road surface, no punctures in the 3 seasons that we run it and the finish was on the rise at the end of Swanlands road which was wide and easy to stop traffic.

There are other finishing spots which could be used and have been used in the pass, after the climb you have a long descend under the M25 and before the shi-cane, its fast and down hill, or after the last roundabout, left hand turn at South Mimms about a mile of dead flat before the bridge was a popular finish back in the 80's and finally won that I won many moons ago was on Swanland road just past the Vet collage turn the road rises up and is very wide a good finish there.
    Thanks Stavros - yes good point about checking in with you guys. Looks like I'll be organising next year so I may give you a call to follow up and ensure we benefit from your experience.

3rd Cat

Any time mate, maybe you could organize mine ???????