Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chain Gang - Tri & Club

Default Chain Gang - Tri & Club

Hi
    Does anyone know when Chain Gang Starts at Newnham Corner & Wilberforce Road?
    Thanks.

I don't know about the Tri Club I'm afraid but I spoke briefly to Tim in Mallorca and we will start next Tuesday 16th April at 18.45pm prompt. Usual start point at Newnham corner on Barton Road.

Probably worth bringing lights for the ride home especially if its a bit gloomy.

For the first week or so, we can have a regroup over the top at Barrington in case we have newcomers that don't know the full route. If lots of people turn up, we may set off in more than one group.

Thanks for Info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Hobday View Post
    I don't know about the Tri Club I'm afraid but I spoke briefly to Tim in Mallorca and we will start next Tuesday 16th April at 18.45pm prompt. Usual start point at Newnham corner on Barton Road.

Probably worth bringing lights for the ride home especially if its a bit gloomy.

For the first week or so, we can have a regroup over the top at Barrington in case we have newcomers that don't know the full route. If lots of people turn up, we may set off in more than one group.

It's always the 3rd Tuesday in April. It has taken me 10 years to work this out.

I kinda knew this but wanted some official sanction, Normally it's Tim W but Nigel has a statesmen like quality about him so that covers it.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mclean View Post
    It's always the 3rd Tuesday in April. It has taken me 10 years to work this out.

fyi, here is the notice that I sent to the Triathlon Club about the Triathlon Club Chaingang.

The first Chaingang of 2013 will be on 23rd April at 6:30.

The meeting place (Wilberforce Road - at the entrance to the University Track) and the route are the same as last year.

As last year we will also split the faster and slower groups into smaller groups if necessary. I'll be there to organise this when I can. Somebody else will have to do it when I cannot. There is no perfect group size - but something around 10 is good.

I will be there on 23rd and will run a tutorial chaingang for people who have not ridden one before or who want to know how to do it.

Here are a few pre-emptive observations:

- the first few chaingangs of the year are always a bit scrappy - however much experience everyone has. Please be tolerant.
    - if you want to attack go somewhere else and ride on your own
    - if you are not prepared to work hard please do likewise - but maybe not with the person above!
    - Barrington Hill ('the Chabelberg'): Ride up, over, and down, as hard as you can. Please regroup at the church in Barrington. Please wait for everyone in your group.
    - if your group is really too slow for you go with a faster one next time.
    - if your group is really too fast for you there should be a slower one following on behind.
    - if you puncture you are on your own. The group will not wait.

In other words the chaingang is about making the group work together to go fast - for a guide on how to do that see here - http://perfectcondition.ltd.uk/Articles/Drafting2.htm

Please bring lights for riding back through town.

Tim
    -----------------------------------
    www.PerfectCondition.Ltd.UK
    -----------Bike Fitting-----------
    -----------------------------------

> Here are a few pre-emptive observations:

Nice avoiding of the word rules Tim.

"- the first few chaingangs of the year are always a bit scrappy - however much experience everyone has. Please be tolerant.
    - if you want to attack go somewhere else and ride on your own"

Lest anyone thinks this is sour grapes, I'll say it: I was dropped cause I'm fat.

Yes, last week was, err, 'scrappy'. I only arrived when we were rolling out at 6:45 last week, so I don't know if someone took on the 'ride leader' mantle, but it may be good for someone senior/respected to take charge and give a shout out when people start to get carried away and lift the pace too much. (I'd volunteer for said leadership role but I'm likely not fast enough, nor respected!
    By Comberton people were not easing off when they pulled through and the pace was rising by about 1mph with every rotation of the group, and 4-5 riders rolled off the front shortly after. The result was that by Kingston 1/3 of the group was OTB.
    Remember, its all about a consistent high pace- not about putting others OTB (unless they can't hold the consistent pace).

If you are one of the stronger riders, perhaps use your heaviest/least aero kit to increase the challenge without fragmenting the group? An extra large bin liner in lieu of a gilet might do as well, I hear its what the pros do, right Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by WesUllrich View Post
    "- the first few chaingangs of the year are always a bit scrappy - however much experience everyone has. Please be tolerant.
    - if you want to attack go somewhere else and ride on your own"

Lest anyone thinks this is sour grapes, I'll say it: I was dropped cause I'm fat.

Yes, last week was, err, 'scrappy'. I only arrived when we were rolling out at 6:45 last week, so I don't know if someone took on the 'ride leader' mantle, but it may be good for someone senior/respected to take charge and give a shout out when people start to get carried away and lift the pace too much. (I'd volunteer for said leadership role but I'm likely not fast enough, nor respected!
    By Comberton people were not easing off when they pulled through and the pace was rising by about 1mph with every rotation of the group, and 4-5 riders rolled off the front shortly after. The result was that by Kingston 1/3 of the group was OTB.
    Remember, its all about a consistent high pace- not about putting others OTB (unless they can't hold the consistent pace).

If you are one of the stronger riders, perhaps use your heaviest/least aero kit to increase the challenge without fragmenting the group? An extra large bin liner in lieu of a gilet might do as well, I hear its what the pros do, right Dave?
    ...and so the hotly contested annual chaingang forum debate begins...!

I'm in it to win it!