Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chelmer Road Race, 07 April 2013

3rd Cat

Post Chelmer Road Race, 07 April 2013

I attach a copy of the race program for the Chelmer RR on Sunday 7 April 13.

There were 117 applicants to cover 70 places including 10 reserves. 30 ERRL clubs were vying for the 60 places in the main field. The club competition thus provided the first 51 riders. The remaining 9 riders were selected on the strength of their BC points and distributed evenly among the clubs with more than two entries. The 10 reserves were selected on the same basis apart from a few picked at the organiser's discretion.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2nd Cat

Apologies but I am unable to locate the latest details for 2012/13 season selection criteria.

Can someone kindly confirm the current selection criteria for ERRL races and if this rule applies to reserves also. I believe the rules are along the line of the best rider by cat and bc points is selected from each ERRL team then if the field is not full select the next best rider, etc then non-ERRL teams.

If this is case, where 4th 'best' riders have been selected that are 3rd cats in the reserve list should these not be replaced by 4th 'best' riders which are 2nd cats?

Many thanks,
    Steven

3rd Cat

Quote Originally Posted by stevegriffiths View Post

If this is case, where 4th 'best' riders have been selected that are 3rd cats in the reserve list should these not be replaced by 4th 'best' riders which are 2nd cats?n
    When I have more time i.e. after the race, I will write a short summary of BC and ERRL rules. They are simple: Rider category does NOT enter the equation in any of them. BC is entirely based on points (for good reasons) and ERRL is club first, points second.

That rider category is a field selection criteria is an urban myth with no basis in reality so forget about it. Sorry, but as organiser I hear it quite often. If one wants to ensure getting selected, one has to score as many points as possible or find a club that will only ever submit two entries to an ERRL race. It's getting tougher for each season to get into our local road races as rider numbers keep going up but race numbers do not.

By the way, BCF's technical regulations are available online in PDF format. They are not difficult to read. Search the section on 'Road and Track'. Happy reading ;-)
    Last edited by RostRider; 25-03-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Elite

ERRL Rule 11

In the event of a full field of ERRL riders equal representation to be enforced (i.e. to select the field one rider taken from each ERRL club in turn then second rider etc. until field is full. Riders to be selected according to Licence points (indicated on their entry form unless otherwise specified by Club secretary of the riders club under a single cover by letter before the closing date). The number and selection of reserve riders is at the discretion of the organiser. There must be no more than 25% of the main field as allowed under the BC Technical Regulations. They should not be listed alphabetically in name or club order.

BC Tech Reg

The field shall be composed of the best riders entered, the selection being based on current form.
    Last edited by pottsie; 26-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Joan Potts

2nd Cat

Thanks Joan/Brian.

So I am correct in thinking that if an elite that doesn't gain any points in one season becomes a 1st cat in the next and they currently have no points has less chance of getting in a E123 road race than a 3rd cat with 1 point??

Or in my case, where I scored over 180 points in 2011 to become a 1st cat, scored only 4 points in 2012 as 1st, so in 2013 am now a 2nd, and currently have 0 points after 1 race. I have less chance of getting in a 234 road race than a 4th cat more than 4 points!

Is there actually any point of having categories? We should just have 'with contract' or 'without contract' like the Belgians do and keep the race categories Nat A, Nat B, Reg A, etc, so the better riders will in general go to the better races!
    Last edited by stevegriffiths; 26-03-2013 at 12:44 PM.

2nd Cat

Quote Originally Posted by stevegriffiths View Post
    Thanks Joan/Brian.

So I am correct in thinking that if an elite that doesn't gain any points in one season becomes a 1st cat in the next and they currently have no points has less chance of getting in a E123 road race than a 3rd cat with 1 point??

Or in my case, where I scored over 180 points in 2011 to become a 1st cat, scored only 4 points in 2012 as 1st, so in 2013 am now a 2nd, and currently have 0 points after 1 race. I have less chance of getting in a 234 road race than a 4th cat more than 4 points!

Is there actually any point of having categories? We should just have 'with contract' or 'without contract' like the Belgians do and keep the race categories Nat A, Nat B, Reg A, etc, so the better riders will in general go to the better races!
    I do wonder a bit about the selection purely by points rule. Let's say the first regional B race of the year two new 4th cat riders from my club come 1st and 2nd. They then enter all the remaining regional A races, which are fully subscribed and so only two riders per club get a ride. If the organiser chooses to disregard last year's points because they are not current and let's say because of work/family commitments I can only race Sunday mornings then I'm never going to get into the main field.

OK, this is a slightly absurd example but if we were interested in getting the best fields* I think it would make far more sense to select first on the basis of rider category and then combined points last season and this season say.

Could we change the ERRL rules at this year's AGM to reflect that or would that be too contrary to the BC technical regs?

* within the constraints of the equal shares per club rule
    Last edited by Gray; 26-03-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added *

If you use the online system it doesnt ask for last years results.

Elite

We can change our rules to select by category then points within that category, but this would only apply to Regional events, as if we use this selection process for National events BC will downgrade the points.

Organisers should take last seasons points into account for early season events.

It does not matter what we do we will upset someone.
    Joan Potts

Elite

I have seen the spread sheet for this event and it shows each riders points for 2012 & 2013, there is also a column for the total of the two years points. Maybe Michael can inform us if this was the spreadsheet from the BC Website or one he has made up himself. If it is the latter, he has gone to a lot of trouble and should be praised for his efforts.
    Joan Potts

2nd Cat

Thank you for your help Joan, much appreciated.

Absolutely, I fully understand and appreciate the effort involved from the organisers in ever increasingly difficult circumstances and am very thankful for them putting races on. I just wanted to be clear on the selection criteria.

Joan - on a separate note, do you know if there are any circuits or could a circuit be found in the eastern region that can have closed roads/rolling closure to allow for youth and adult road races . . . or is that a complete no go!!

Many thanks,
    Steve