Thread: Richard Holmes

Default Richard Holmes

Those who have been in the Club for more than a few years will be saddened to hear of the sudden death on Tuesday of Richard Holmes.

Richard was one of the first people that I met when I came to Cambridge and joined the Club in 1989 and within 2 minutes he was treating me like an old friend.

Besides being a handy bike rider with road race wins and club records to his name he was a true clubman. For many years he was Club Clothier, our road race promoter, our annual dinner organiser and a regular timekeeper and volunteer.

Since leaving Cambridge Richard has been living in Ely and more recently near Bury St. Edmunds.

He died very suddenly at work after sharp pains in his chest and arms. The exact cause is still unknown.

He was married to Andrea in December and leaves a 4 month old daugher, Katie Louise. He's also survived by his parents, Mary & Ron.

Richard's funeral is at Risby Crematorium on Thursday at 3:45pm.

Tim.

PS. Terry, please will you put something on the website? For any more details you'll need to contact Bill Farrow (who was very close to Richard).
    -----------------------------------
    www.PerfectCondition.Ltd.UK
    -----------Bike Fitting-----------
    -----------------------------------

Phil Mynott

Default Richard Holmes RIP

The funeral of Richard Holmes will be held on Thursday, 8th September at
    3.45pm at the West Suffolk Crematorium near Bury St Edmunds (signed from the
    Risby exit off the A14).

Friends and colleagues are invited to attend the service and afterwards join
    Andrea and the family at home at 2 New Cottages, Cattishall, Great Barton.

Tributes of flowers, or donations to the Heart Foundation in Richard's name,
    can be arranged through Susan Moore of The Ipswich and Norwich Cooperative
    Society Ltd., funeral directors, at 27 College Street, Bury St Edmunds, IP33
    1NL, telephone: 01284-754017

So many friends and colleagues have asked if they can contribute to Katie's
    care for the future through a Trust Fund that Andrea has been quite
    overwhelmed by everyone's kindness. For those wishing to remember Richard in
    this special way, cheques should be made out to Miss Katie Louise Holmes and
    sent to Andrea at the family address above.

Blog Entries

Yes, I heard at the Hillclimb on Thursday night. I'm deeply saddened to hear it. Richard was a top guy; whom I remember fondly from my earliest days in the Club in the late 80's, to recently as our motorbike marshall at the Ike Saul Road Race in April.
    I also worked with him in Cambridge whilst I was on the Science Park. Always with a smile and friendly words, and a real pleasure to work with.
    I hope to come along to the funeral.
    James

Bill Farrow

Default Richard Holmes

I can be contacted on 01353665635 or 07970006905 or williamfarrow4@btinternet.com . regards Bill Farrow

Peter Turner

Default Richard Holmes

Having known Richard for many years, not as long as most, 20 odd years I guess, but will always remember him for his great sense of humour, He was always fun to be around we had many laughs at races and the dinners he organised as well as social occasions over the years. I even raced against him (He always beat me!)

After meeting another long term friend and cyclist Andre Marsh, I was told of Richards sudden death, which was a complete shock to me. Although we lost touch some years ago I will always remember him with fondness.

Digby

Default Very sad news

I was just sparing afew honeymoon minutes to see how you were getting on and I read this shocking andvery sad news.
    I workedwith Richard for three years ang to to know him as a thoroughly niceguy.
    He very kindly acted as motorbike marshall for the IkeSaul for at least the last two years.
    Very sorry I couldn{t attend the funeral.

Best wishes.

Digby