Thread: Cyclo-Cross National Champs

Default Cyclo-Cross National Champs

Nice to see so many club riders out supporting a fantastic local event.

Come on guys use it or lose it.

If we don't support National events like this one in our area (Only TT's) for promoting the club, then what do we need to get members interested to turn out. It makes me wounder if the Olympic road race finished in Diss, would this be enough for a turn out.

At the AGM we discussed how to give the club a higher profile. This was one of the highest profile events in the region.

It was free entry.

Trev

Trev
    I understand what you are saying, and on the face of it, the lack of interest seems pretty sad.
    Although we have around 100 members, most quite rightly, are only interested their own particular aspect of cycling....leisure, TT, Audax, Road, Cross etc etc
    If you look at who was out on the 'Touring Pace' clubrun yesterday, it was a real mix, 21 riders..........including current 'cyclo cross' riders, so even those active in cyclo cross did'nt go and watch the Nationals at Ipswich.
    Will you be riding over to Hempnall in the summer to watch riders in the National 400km Audax?.........of course not, and I would'nt expect you to. You'd rather be out racing or training because that's the aspect of cycling that you are interested in.
    All we can do is keep all club members aware of what's going on...........then it's up to them!.
    Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Trev
    I understand what you are saying, and on the face of it, the lack of interest seems pretty sad.
    Although we have around 100 members, most quite rightly, are only interested their own particular aspect of cycling....leisure, TT, Audax, Road, Cross etc etc
    If you look at who was out on the 'Touring Pace' clubrun yesterday, it was a real mix, 21 riders..........including current 'cyclo cross' riders, so even those active in cyclo cross did'nt go and watch the Nationals at Ipswich.
    Will you be riding over to Hempnall in the summer to watch riders in the National 400km Audax?.........of course not, and I would'nt expect you to. You'd rather be out racing or training because that's the aspect of cycling that you are interested in.
    All we can do is keep all club members aware of what's going on...........then it's up to them!.
    Cheers
    Steve
    I understand were your coming from, but I doudt there will be that much of press coverage or TV coverage and it defo wont be on BC website.
    Audax is even more of a minority sport than Cross.
    Lets not forget the European Cyclo-Cross Champs will be in Ipswich.
    Not sure those that were out yesterday instead of watching the racing do much cross, as the Dunnett's were there, the Newbys and us.

I think if the group leader had said lets ride to Ipswich, have a tea brake, watch a race and then head back, I don't see as that doing something of no interest, after all, were all those out on New Years Day all interested in TT's, or was it because Mick took them their, as they don't turn out for any other open TT's that club riders do.

I think we need to get away from this "Them and us" attitude and support all cycling.

At last years race I put on, it would have been nice for club run riders out supporting the race.

They could have had a cupper, watched a bit of the race and then like other clubs do, rode the course the opposite way around getting the miles.

I bet there are far more riders in total doing Audax events than cross or road racing for that matter.

I guess the club run could have gone to watch but a cross race lasts a lot longer than a 10m TT I imagine especially if the run only stayed at the time trial long enough to see the Diss boys go past.

Personally I think watching cycling live is pretty dull whatever aspect it is. I've been to watch the Tour and the Tour of Britian and at the end I always think, well was it worth it? Standing around for hours on end to watch them flash by in an instant. And I'm a cycling nut with a good knowledge of the sport so god knows what the general public think. 99% of the race nothing interesting is happening, just a wearing down process. 1 hour highlights on ITV4 can even be dull when its just a flat stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Murphy View Post
    I bet there are far more riders in total doing Audax events than cross or road racing for that matter.

I guess the club run could have gone to watch but a cross race lasts a lot longer than a 10m TT I imagine especially if the run only stayed at the time trial long enough to see the Diss boys go past.

Personally I think watching cycling live is pretty dull whatever aspect it is. I've been to watch the Tour and the Tour of Britian and at the end I always think, well was it worth it? Standing around for hours on end to watch them flash by in an instant. And I'm a cycling nut with a good knowledge of the sport so god knows what the general public think. 99% of the race nothing interesting is happening, just a wearing down process. 1 hour highlights on ITV4 can even be dull when its just a flat stage.
    Hi Duncan.

I'm not sure if you've seen a proper Cross race, as it defo isn't boring, with 8 minute laps there is always something going on. The Belguims, Dutch and other European countrys always have large crowds upto 25 thousand a week. They all can't be wrong.
    The elite race was one of the best for a long time and it lasted an hour and the Junior race with local lad Hugo Robinson who is won of the best juniors in the world raced for 40 minutes, with running commentry from Hugh Porter.

As for watcing road and audax, seeing someone going past, either fast or slow can be boring if there is no atmospher.

I think most of the Diss boys at the TT did around the 25 mark, and I doudt they all went off together, plus no commentry, no pro's and no high lights on About Anglia.

You only have to look at the popular cycling mags to see were the interest in the sport is.

Sorry for being so blunt, but Cyclo-Cross is the fastest growing part of our sport, as It's cheap, always something to watch, non elitest and easy for kids to get involved in, in a safe area away from busy roads.

Can't be that cheap, it must trash the drivetrain of your bike...

If you read cyclingnews.com there are some cross articles in the winter when nothing much else in on.
    There's very rarely an article on TT or MTB. Cross races have been going on for donkeys years but they've always only been a winter sideline to give the pros something to do in the off season.

Personally I wouldn't go and watch any form of cycle racing live unless it was something really major right on the doorstep. Even then I didn't really think the ToB was worth the effort from what I saw of it from the roadside. The mountain stages of the grand tours on TV are the only thing I make a point of watching.