Thread: First win for Sophie Holmes

Default First win for Sophie Holmes

Sophie rode to her first win at Redgrave cyclocross yesterday, with almost a minute over her nearest rival.

Powering away after the first lap into a head wind, she was never headed again.

Congratulations on the win and lets hope for more to come.

On a sour note, it was evedent the lack of support from club members, either watching or helping.
    As it was a good day for the club at our home event, it was sad that there was a lack of cheering from our own members and very poor that we want to back youngsters, but can't seem to find any time to encourage them.

With only 5 of us helping out Bob with the race, which included 3 that raced, and one of them an 11 year old girl, do we need to take a hard look at ourselves.

Well done to Sophie.

Re the support/help I think you have to accept that Diss is a fairly small club Trev and that the % of people who actually race/care about racing in general is very low. If most of the members are only interested in club runs or sportives or CTC or whatever else they ride you can't really force them into helping at events that they aren't interested in.

Also cyclocross is probably the least popular of the racing disciplines. Generally people who do race help out with the areas of the club that are associated with their discipline (for instance I don't think you'd be too keen on helping out at the open time trials as they don't interest you). So if you only have say 5 people who ride cyclocross in the club you're unlikely to get many more than that helping or attending I'm afraid.

I know for a fact that even a big club like Cambridge (which has 200-250 members IIRC) struggles to get enough marshalls just to run its evening TT series each year (which is probably the most popular racing activity that the club promotes). So I don't think we are exceptional in having this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Murphy View Post
    Well done to Sophie.

Re the support/help I think you have to accept that Diss is a fairly small club Trev and that the % of people who actually race/care about racing in general is very low. If most of the members are only interested in club runs or sportives or CTC or whatever else they ride you can't really force them into helping at events that they aren't interested in.

Also cyclocross is probably the least popular of the racing disciplines. Generally people who do race help out with the areas of the club that are associated with their discipline (for instance I don't think you'd be too keen on helping out at the open time trials as they don't interest you). So if you only have say 5 people who ride cyclocross in the club you're unlikely to get many more than that helping or attending I'm afraid.

I know for a fact that even a big club like Cambridge (which has 200-250 members IIRC) struggles to get enough marshalls just to run its evening TT series each year (which is probably the most popular racing activity that the club promotes). So I don't think we are exceptional in having this problem.
    Duncan I agree with everything you have said, but more than 30 turned out for free food.

Cyclocross at this time of year is the most popular side of the sport and is easy to get into, with over 150 riding every weekend just in the Eatern region.
    I think in Mark's open this year he only had one Diss rider, so I guess TT's have a problem as well.

I will bring this up at the AGM, as I think if all members want to do is ride about on a Sunday morning to a cafe and nothing else, then what happens to the club when the time comes for them to hang up their wheels, as no youngsters are coming through.

I don't think there is much future in the club for Sophie, if that's all she has to look forward to.

At this time of year maybe it is the most popular, but most people aren't interested in racing in the winter.

I think with all except racing only clubs the vast majority of members of cycling clubs are club runners who are just interested in the social side and keeping moderately fit, seeing the countryside, attending dinners etc. A club only exists because it has people with the same interests. It looks to me that this is true with Diss.

IMO if you are really serious about road racing yourself and Sophie you'd be better off joining 1st claim with a club that has more racers and maybe stay 2nd claim with Diss. There just aren't the numbers in the club to have a regular team out riding and organizing events. It's always going to be the same few.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Murphy View Post
    At this time of year maybe it is the most popular, but most people aren't interested in racing in the winter.

I think with all except racing only clubs the vast majority of members of cycling clubs are club runners who are just interested in the social side and keeping moderately fit, seeing the countryside, attending dinners etc. A club only exists because it has people with the same interests. It looks to me that this is true with Diss.

IMO if you are really serious about road racing yourself and Sophie you'd be better off joining 1st claim with a club that has more racers and maybe stay 2nd claim with Diss. There just aren't the numbers in the club to have a regular team out riding and organizing events. It's always going to be the same few.
    Hi Duncan,

I think your thinking of the CTC. Most clubs I know have a race section and youth programme, I would be interested in knowing those that don't.

Iceni Velo, which is just a race team, have a good youth section.

I think I've come to that conclusion. It's not for myself, but for Sophie. I don't think the club will take her much further as the clubs history has always been towards TT's and club runs, which is not on BC performance plan at the moment. They tend to go Track, Road, Cross and MTB in that order.TT's are not on the agenda as far as I know.

Next year she enters the youth scene, so that means a big leap up and Diss just doesn't have the interest.

Trev

Most clubs have a race section but the number of members who race is generally pretty small in comparison to the total number of riders in the club.
    I don't think Diss is exceptional in that regard. I don't think we have any more regular TT riders than other disciplines either. I ride most of the local events and we get a 3 man team maybe once or twice in a season. We're just a small club so if we have 80 members and 10% race that's 8 serious guys split between the various types of racing. A big club with 250 members would be 25 so each type of racing will have enough for a team generally. It doesn't bother me as TT'ing is an individual sport largely. But if you want to do road racing it's never going to be easy to get a team together.