PDA

View Full Version : Keep left islands

John I
15-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Are keep left islands the most dangerous things for cyclists on the road. There is one near where I live that is just at the point where the road narrows so there is no room for me (no comments on size required thanks) and another vehicle. :shock:

ChrisB
15-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Defensive riding 101.

Pull into the middle of your side of the road as you approach, so there's no room for a car to try to overtake. If you do get a nutter try, then you've got time to pull back in to let him before the island.

John Ireland
15-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Yes - handy technique Chris. Also works for approaching round-abouts, to stop the guy coming past and cutting you up.

ChrisB
15-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Also, plenty of eyeballing the cars behind you. They're less likely to mow you down if you look them in the eye.

PNuT
15-02-2005, 01:37 PM
i go faster than most cars anyway..... so its me overtaking them :lol:

John I
15-02-2005, 02:08 PM
i go faster than most cars anyway..... so its me overtaking them :lol:

I'm not on my 2 ton rusty fixed wheel with rack, mudgaurds and me on top after a 40 mile training ride. :oops:

Andy B
15-02-2005, 03:25 PM
I've already got enough Left Islands so I don't want to keep any more thankyou.
Now if there are any Right Islands going spare......

halcyon
15-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Are keep left islands the most dangerous things for cyclists on the road.

Cycle lanes can be quite dangerous. Near me there is a section about 2 miles long beside a road called Bluebell Road. If you want to turn off Bluebell road, at either end you are required to dismount and become a pedestrian for the purpose of negotiationg the junctions, and remount and join the road from the pavement. If you want to turn off in the middle, you have to dismount and climb down a grass bank. The cycle path passes a comprehensive school, a university and a supermarket, so pedestrians are quite a problem. If you go on the road the cars honk and point wildly at the cycle lane - even though it's a 20 mph. zone!!

I literally have no idea what the 'proper' method for negotiating the junction with my road and Bluebell road (why should I dismount?), so I just use the road and join in the road rage.

ChrisB
15-02-2005, 05:13 PM
There's a similar strip on the way out of Cambridge on Milton Road. Thankfully I no longer have to use it, but yes, you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. And try explaining to a motorist why you're using the road, they look at you like you're speaking Dutch. :roll: